Chapter 26: Dakota Knight

I hear the front door of the cabin close and the huff of Antonio as he finally gets to kick off his shoes. I drag my feet as I walk toward him, exhaustion taking over me. I can't imagine how he must feel right now, especially with driving all day and bringing in our stuff. 

I would have helped if he didn't fight me on it every step of the way. I swear I offered to do both things about twenty times per hour. However, it fell on deaf ears. He was not having it at all. 

So, instead of making him frustrated, I thought it best to allow him to take care of that and I would make it up to him later. I flop down on the couch next to him, curling myself up into the side of his body.

"You like it here?"

"Yes. It's gorgeous. Tomorrow you have to tell me how and why."

"Why not now?"

"I'm too tired."

He rubs my side, exhaling deeply as he agrees with me. He doesn't move to go into the bedroom, instead, he reaches over to grab the faux fur blanket and places it over the both of us. Cuddling together in the dark, it doesn't take either of us long to fall asleep.

***

I wake up still in his arms. The warm sun rays stream through the window, naturally heating up the cabin. I breathe a relaxing inhale, the remnants of his cologne mixed with his masculine natural scent combining with the fresh air. 

I snuggle deeper into him, the feeling of pure happiness making my toes curl and a goofy smile spread across my lips. I press my lips to his neck, moving my legs briefly and subtly to feel how intertwined we are, my hand laying on his chest to feel him breathe. 

I push down the excited squeal that bubbles in my chest. I have been thinking about him, crushing on him, since I was young. Knowing that after all this time, I am finally laying beside him, his body pressing against mine, I am barely able to process this moment. 

I cannot believe this is happening. Is this happening? Or is this my heaven?

"Sweetheart."

His voice is rough and groggy as his brown eyes flutter open, his hand squeezing my hip.

"Good morning, Antonio."

"Mornin'. How did you sleep?"

"It was perfect, and you?"

"That was the best sleep I've ever had."

He stretches his arms out to the side for a moment before wrapping me up in a tight hug.

"I'm so fucking glad you're here."

"I'm happy to be here."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes, but I'm going to cook. You stay right here."

"But-"

"You drove ten hours and then unloaded all of our stuff. You deserve to just lay here."

"But I-"

"No. Don't fight me on this, please."

He hesitates to agree but does so anyway as he knows that I'm going to win this one. I make my way to the bathroom to pee quickly and enter the kitchen where he has already begun taking this out of the fridge. How did they get here in the first place?

"Get the fuck out and go do something else or sit."

"But-"

"Antonio Jonah Summers! Let me cook for you. This is ludicrous."