²³, MADE OF FIRE

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter twenty-three; Made Of Fire
Don't you ever feel it? That being a witch means more than just having magic? "

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄chapter twenty-three; Made Of Fire" Don't you ever feel it? That being a witch means more than just having magic? "

  SOMETHING IN SALEM was off and James Potter could tell. It wasn't exactly clear to outsiders, Salem always walked around with a bit of a bitch face, but James had seen that change lately.

  Until it reverted.

  She was suddenly cold again. Salem stopped finding James to walk to classes with or hanging out with Sirius in the common room.

  But what really put James on edge, was Lily admitting she hadn't seen much of Salem either.

  "Something's wrong, shit, something really wrong—"

  "Hey, it's going to be okay," Lily attempted to calm an anxiously pacing James, "Just— James, seriously, knock it off."

  James halted, throwing his hands to the side in frustration.

  "Let me talk to her," Lily spoke calmly, "It's amazing how much you care for her and I love that you love her—"

  "Woah, hey, I, uh," James coughed, blushing a beet red that made Lily smile amusedly, "We haven't— we're not, she's not—"

  "Not what matters right now, James," She said softly, "Salem gets overwhelmed easily, alright? So, I'll talk to her, and she'll be back when she's ready."

  "I want her back now."

  "You can't be selfish in these things."

  "I hate that you're always right."

  Lily laughed, gently patting his shoulder before departing to the only place she thought she could find Salem Gerard.

  But it appeared things were worse than they seemed because Salem wasn't in the Three Broomsticks with her father. She wasn't in the library or her dorm. Lily began to wonder if Salem had just up and left Hogwarts totally, but just when hope began to dwindle, Lily found Salem in the least expected place.

  "Sal?"

  The redhead looked up through a single lock of hair falling between her eyes, not moving from the indent in the grass just beyond the Forbidden Forest. A book was splayed open on her lap, one that looked more like a storybook than a school one.

  "What are you doing out here?" Lily let out a light laugh, taking a seat across from her, "I think James is tearing apart the castle to find you."

  Salem let out a short laugh, shaking her head as her eyes returned back to her book.

  "Hey," Lily poached lightly, "What's up?"

  "You remember when people called me Witch Trials?" Salem asked abruptly, snapping her book shut, "And, around fifth year, it just sort of stopped?"