CHAPTER THREE - A NEW LIGHT

Note: Creature Speech

- Hermione's Point of View / The Next Morning -

The sound of bird singing outside my dorm window hit my sensitive cat ears, causing me to groan knowing that it was morning and I was going to have to get up for another day of this bullshit; how I dreaded walking up when sleeping seems like the perfect escape from the hell that has become my life. Poking my head from under my blanket, greeted by the warmth of the sun shining through my window.

'How I wish that I that I didn't have to get up right now...' I groaned in my mind as I threw the blanket off my body and got out of bed, I began walking to my dresser when a small but deep voice called out to me.

"Hey! I was sleeping here! You didn't have to throw your blanket on me, Human!" said a moving lump under my blanket, I snickered before I walked over to the lump and removed the blanket from it - looking at my Half-Kneazle.

"Sorry about that, Crookshanks; I didn't know that you were there," I said, petting him between his ears; I smiled listening to him purr.

I know what you're thinking - How in the hell are you able to talk to your cat? Simple answer - The Cat DNA that was used in the Polyjuice Potion was Kneazle Fur. I found out that I was able to talk to Crookshanks after coming back from the library after talking to Neville and Luna. He was sitting on the bed waiting for me and asked me for food but instead of meowing, he straight up said - "I'm Hungry. Feed me.". Hearing my cat talk was freak enough but at least now I know when his smartass is talking crap.

"Just be careful where you throw your blanket next time, Human." The Half-Knzeale huffed when I withdrew from petting him to get dressed.

"You know, Crooks, you don't have to call me 'Human'. Just call me by my name." I said, looking for an outfit to wear for the day under my cloak. I pulled out a white-collared shirt, black pants, a belt, and some black shoes and placed them on the top of the dresser before I began to strip my pajamas.

"You want me to call you by your name? Am I not just a pet to you?" Crooks asked.

"Crooks, you're my partner and friend, not just a pet. You're your own person, well, your own cat." I said while getting dressed; I had to cut a hole at the back of my pants to give my tail enough room to move. I turned to face Crookshanks, he looked like he was in deep thought, looking down at his paws.

"Crooks, are you alright?" I asked him walking over to him and sitting next to him.

"I didn't know you thought of me higher than what I actually am. During my time in the pet shop, no one actually thought I had feelings." He looked at me. "You're one strange human, Hermione Granger." He smirked, I responded in kind.

"You're one strange cat, Crookshanks, but I guess that is what brought us together," I concluded as I petted him between his ears again, he purred and nuzzled into my hand. I wanted to stay like that for just a little longer but I knew I had classes and didn't want to mess up my grades - No one in Hogwarts my respects me because of my condition but they do respect the points I bring Gryffindor.

"I have to go, Crookshanks. I'll see you tonight." I said as I grabbed my tie and cloak, placing them on my person and walking out of my dorm, entering the Common Room. All eyes were on me again, the whispers began but didn't care because a smiling face walked in my direction and it made me happy.

"Good Morning, 'Mione. You sleep alright?" Neville Longbottom asked me as he approached me with a white glistening grin.

"I slept fine, Neville; I recently found out that I can talk to Crookshanks." I said as he looked at me with a raised eyebrow as we headed to the portrait to leave the Common Room.