Seventeen

To say that the situation Kaycee found herself in at that moment was awkward would be a horrific understatement.

"I don't want jackass coming over, he treats you like garbage!" Kylie shouted, slamming her palms on the counter in front of Kaycee. "Have a little self respect!"

Kaycee sighed, they'd been arguing for awhile now, after Kaycee had asked her parents if Jack could come over for a bit. Kylie just so happened to be in the room and lost it, and has been preaching about 'having some self respect' for the past hour.

"He's not a jackass, and you're not a part of our relationship! You don't know everything!" Kaycee cried.

"I know that he's not good enough for you!" Kylie yelled back, pointing her index finger in her face.

"You're ridiculous." Kaycee spat, getting up from her spot at the counter. "Stop meddling in my life and worry about yourself first."

She started towards the staircase to lock herself in her room until Jack got there, but Kylie followed and stopped her.

Kylie stood in front of Kaycee, holding onto her shoulders. "You're my little sister," she started, her eyes softening and her voice almost a whisper, "It's my job to protect you."

Kaycee ripped herself out of Kylie's grasp forcefully. "I don't need you to protect me from Jack. He's my boyfriend, my soulmate."

Kylie snickered, which turned into laughter, and soon her whole body was shaking as she cackled at the younger girl in front of her. "I-I don't know...I don't know what exactly you're on, but I need some of it." She spoke through uneven breaths.

"What's so funny?" Kaycee interrogated, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"You! You're delusional!" Kylie sputtered, still recovering from her fit of laughter moments ago.

"Why? Because I said Jack is my soulmate?" The younger girl asked. "He very well could be, I'm not delusional."

"I'm willing to bet my entire life savings and then some that he's not your soulmate." Kylie quipped, placing her hands on her hips.

They stayed that way for what felt like forever, the two staring daggers into each other's eyes. Kaycee found herself so frustrated with her sister that she almost didn't hear the knock at the door. It sounded as if it were lightyears away, she was in her own little world, glaring at Kylie so intensely, willing her to burst into flames.

"You should probably get that." Kylie growled, turning around to clomp up the stairs. "Wouldn't want to keep your soulmate waiting." And with that, she finished her ascent up the stairs and slammed her bedroom door.

Kaycee let go of a breath she didn't know she was holding and made her way toward the front door. She made eye contact with her parents who sat on the couch, knowing they had listened to the entire argument with Kylie. Her mom gave her a sympathetic smile, while Brad gave her a blank stare; she could never tell what he was thinking.

She opened the door to reveal Jack, standing on the 'welcome' mat, his hands in the pockets of his black jeans and his head hanging down. When he heard the door open, he shot his head up and smiled at the girl in front of him.

"Hey Kayc," he spoke quietly, stepping forward to get closer to her.

She closed the gap between them, wrapping her arms around his middle and resting her head on his shoulder. She broke away seconds later, afraid to touch him for too long, fearing he'd disappear.

She cleared her throat, motioning him forward and into the house. "Hey, come on in."

Jack stepped past her into the house, sliding his shoes off and placing them on the shoe mat next to the door. Kaycee watched him patiently, then led him into the family room where her parents resided.