006

in a hotel room...

They had not been successful in their next search— or the one that followed, for that matter

They had not been successful in their next search— or the one that followed, for that matter. In fact, they had been in the city for three whole days now, coming up empty-handed every single time. The two of them had been renting out the cheapest hotel rooms they could find each night, Avery using her savings to pay.

Luckily, they had the luxury of sleeping in two separate beds. Avery was glad, considering she wasn't sure she could handle Luke Skywalker being any closer to her than he already was. He would get up while it was still dark outside and meditate until dawn. He hardly ever ate anything. He simply stared out the window when he had nothing else to do. It was driving her insane.

At about three o'clock in the morning, she heard him move. She had always been a light sleeper, and hence had trouble adapting to his strange habits. She opened one eye, watching him from the other side of the room. He was still in bed, thank God; she couldn't handle him meditating at this hour. It creeped her out. He then thrashed once more, so abrupt and so violent that it made her jump a little. She tried just going back to sleep, thinking about how stubborn Luke was the last time she tried comforting him after a nightmare. When she heard a faint cry come from him, however, she changed her mind.

Sighing, she sat up slowly. She stood on shaky legs and walked the small distance between their beds, sitting down on the edge. She reached out to touch his arm, but he jerked away from her almost immediately. She then shook him gently. He shot up, breathing heavily, hand flying to where his belt would have rested on his waist. He was reaching for a weapon, she realized.

"Calm down, hero. It's just me," she whispered.

She could make out his wide eyes scanning the room frantically, courtesy of the restless city lights soaking through the thin blinds.

"I— I don't," he stammered. "You're in my bed."

"You're so observant, Luke."

"Right, sorry. Why?" he breathed out.

"You were having another bad dream."

She watched his face fall as he seemed to recall everything he had experienced in his sleep. He grew tense, hugging his knees to his chest and letting his head hang down. She groaned.

"C'mon now, none of this."

"None of what?" he asked, not bothering to look at her.

"None of this mysterious 'I can't talk about my problems because there's no time to' philosophy. Tell me about your dream," she pressed.

He only frowned and pulled his knees closer. Minutes ticked by, yet she still sat, waiting patiently. He looked like a child again, she noticed.

"Before I faced my father, I started getting these visions," he finally said. "Han and Leia, in pain. I could feel everything they felt. I heard them cry out to me, but I wasn't there; I was training to become a Jedi, planets away from them. I left to go save them, but it turned out to be a trap. Leia and the others managed to escape, but Han wasn't as fortunate. They had frozen him in carbonite. It was a test run, preparing the machine for me."