Chapter 14 - Lenny

I tap my fingers on the table as I stare out the window of the restaurant, watching the people of Boston go about their lives.

I've always wondered how the world can look exactly the same when you go through something life-altering. Your world was just ripped away from underneath your feet and the people around you don't have a damn clue. They're just living their lives as if nothing monumental happened, as if it's just another day, and it makes you irrationally irritated because how the fuck can they not realize your world will never be the same? How the fuck can they just go about their day as if everything is the same? Here these people are—going to work as always, getting home to their kids as always, stopping to fill up gas in the car as always; completely ignorant to those who are stumbling and will never get this semblance of normalcy back.

That's how I felt when I lost my parents and...

I look away, clearing my throat in an attempt to get rid of the boulder lodged in there. I wonder if I'll ever be able to think about them without feeling immeasurable pain. My world has never been the same since they died and I hated it. It's happening all over again, albeit not as traumatic this time around. But Wolfe speaking to me, talking as if he's always been able to do it? It's still pretty earth shattering. It's only been a couple days and I still haven't wrapped my head around it. That and the flashes of his personality that are so unlike the Wolfe I've gotten to know. He can be bold, unapologetic, and feral. He can also be ridiculously sexy and sweet and his sarcasm could give mine a run for money which is practically unheard of. Now I find myself wishing he didn't make that leap because the more he talks and the better I get to know him, the closer I'm getting to falling in love with him. And that might be the most life-altering thing that's ever happened to me.

"Hey!"

I startle out of my thoughts just as Aria bends down to hug me tight. I return her hug a moment later and force myself to snap out of it before she figures out something's wrong with me.

"Hey, hottie." I kiss her on the cheek and she pulls back, sliding in the booth across from me. Her nose and cheeks are flushed from the cold and she blows out a breath as she removes her jacket. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"That's because you haven't," She scrunches her nose apologetically. "I know I've been all over the place lately. I'm trying to find a way to balance all these new changes."

"Don't make it sound like such a bad thing," I wave a hand just as a waitress sets down our water and menus. When she walks away, I continue. "Be the boss bitch you were meant to be."

She bursts out laughing and shakes her head. "Just the words I was aching to hear. I can't believe how stressed I've been lately."

"Who wouldn't? You're starting your own firm and travelling the world with lover boy."

"We're not travelling the world, just the states. Besides, it's becoming really tough and our schedules keep clashing and we're fighting a lot because of it."

"Damn," I lean forward and place my hand over hers. "That blows. You and lover boy never fight."

"Trust me, we fight like you wouldn't believe." She snorts. "We just happen to be exceptionally good at make up sex so we're usually eager to move past disagreements."

"That definitely sounds like you horn dogs."

"Shut up. Anyways, we came up with a solution that will help with the long distance while I stay back in Boston to work on my firm."

"Oh yeah?"

Her mouth stretches into a wide grin right before she blurts, "We're moving in together!"