chapter 8

Thursday, February 13th, 2020

Harry's bright face is the only thing keeping me awake. The walk over to his house before school has left me exhausted.

I let the air-con cool my hot face as he drives up the street.

"Maths first thing today. I remembered my textbook this time at least."

I groan, leaning my head against the window. "Why does it have to be first period? I can't stand maths."

"How're you feeling anyway? Did you have a good sleep?"

He's driving one-handed, his wrist hanging loosely over the steering wheel. He glances over at me briefly, smiling kindly.

"I'm fine. Slept well."

Not exactly.

Mum was up all night crying, not that she wanted me to hear her. She'd locked herself in the bathroom half the night, while dad stood patiently outside, hand pressed against the doorframe. She reappeared when I was getting ready for bed. She'd wiped the makeup off her face and suddenly looked so young and vulnerable. I forgot at times that she was only 36.

"That's good to hear then," he nods, flicking the blinker to turn left.

"You sound like my dad," I jab, offering him a small smile.

The way my dad used to be anyway.

"Oh yeah? How so?"

"Thoughtful. Worried. Always just making sure everything is...steady."

"Sounds like a good man."

"Yeah," I clear my throat, looking out the window. "He is. Good for my mum."

We're getting closer to the school now, only a few more streets away.

"You don't talk about them much, I've noticed."

"You don't talk about yours either," I retort.

"Touché."

"Any reason for that?" I ask at the same time he says, "Are you close to them?"

We laugh lightly and I fiddle with the bracelet around my wrist.

"We've just been distant lately, I guess. It wasn't always like this," he whispers.

He looks out his window for a second, his jaw clenched. I don't push him, knowing that he doesn't want to talk about.

"Same with me. I used to be able to tell them anything. Now, not so much."

Shit. WHAT are you doing?

I clamp my mouth shut to stop the excessive blabbering. I hoped this didn't happen every time he offered to give me a lift.