thirteen.

❏— Chapter Thirteen
˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳ ❝ ...everything happens for a
reason ❞

Soobin is exhausted from helping Yeji earlier that day, but he is unable to sleep.

He's mentally as well as physically worn out. He is unable to control his thoughts after talking to his mother, which caused them to wander.

He feels the chilly breeze coming through his open window as he stares at it.

Soobin sighs and rises from his bed, carefully avoiding waking his grandmother. He takes his jacket off the rack, puts his shoes on, and makes his way downstairs on tiptoes. The bottom stair, which creaks every time you step on it, was specifically avoided by him.

As soon as he opens the door to leave, a chilly breeze welcomes him.

At that time, the village is even more silent, and he can hear crickets chirping, a distant dog barking loudly, and the typical morning call of the chickens there.

Soobin is unsure of his destination, and because he hasn't been going out much, the village is still somewhat foreign to him. He just simply follows where his feet take him.

He feels as though he might actually get lost without having a destination in mind, but he is used to feeling lost and is not in the least bit alarmed by the thought.

He notices that the Hwangs' lights are already on as he passes by their home. Hmm, based on what his grandmother told him, village life apparently begins very early.

He's sure that his grandmother would also wake up any moment now and he's hoping that she won't check up on him just to see his bed empty.

"Good morning son!" An unfamiliar voice snaps him out from his thoughts.

Soobin looks at the person and sees someone just about his grandmother's age carrying some gardening tools. He's probably on his way to the farm there.

"Oh good morning, uncle!" Soobin greeted him back, not wanting to be rude.

"I haven't seen you around here before."

Soobin gulped, not expecting to come across someone that early in the morning but he still tried answering him nevertheless. "Ah, I'm Choi Hyeja's grandson from the city and I'm here to visit her for the summer."

The man's eyes widens in acknowledgement, everyone probably knows each other considering the small population in the village.

"Oh I see, I know your grandmother very well." The man chuckled, tapping Soobin's shoulders, "Well then, I'll get going. If you want some fresh fruits, just look for me at the farm and I'll give it to you for free."

Soobin's face lit up at the statement and he bowed at the man. "Thank you so much, uncle."

----

After his encounter with the nice man, Soobin continued his walk to nowhere.

He's currently at a part of a village that he's never been to before and there's really not much to see since all he can see are houses which all have their lights on already.

He hugs his jacket tighter against his body, deciding to get back home before his grandmother finds out that he's missing.

But he immediately stopped on his tracks when he hear a soft purring. He looks around to find where the sound is coming from.

If someone can see him right now, they might think that he's an idiot because he's currently crouching down with his phone that he uses as a flashlight in his hand to find the source of the sound.