Chapter 1 - Sorry to bother you

Cover art: @almangods

.

.

.

Bokuto Koutarou. Wild, enthusiastic, a free spirit and charming if in his own quirky way. In his younger years it hadn't bothered him that the world seemed to revolve around one thing and one thing only. Soul mates.

Not much was known around soul mates. It had been the topic of heated scientifical research for years, but had ended up being unexplainable.

The information everybody seemed to perceive from was that the universe had created a destined partner for every person and they were linked together.

Drawing happened to be the riveting link that drew two people together and your own skin turned into a freely useable canvas.

Draw or write on yourself, and it'll appear on your soul mate in the exact same place.

This skill transpired around the age 16, and because of that, it was common for some parents to reinforce the rule that their children shouldn't talk to their soulmate until a more suitable and mature age.

These parents were usually strict and controlling. Stranger danger was displayed through the news and on shows designated for these soul mate situations.

In some rare cases adults and teenagers alike had been kidnapped and been drawn on, writing to lure their soulmate to a location where they would also be kidnapped.

This world was not all butterflies and daises, but for the most part it was.

70% of romance stories were soulmates. A good 50% of tv shows were soulmates.

Heck, it was a wonder how Bokuto even found out that soulmates seemed to be a critical part in civilization with his head in the clouds.

Of course he found out through volleyball.

Bokuto had been energetic and happy, spiking volleyballs one day when he happened to see that one of the setters had something inkling down his leg. It was black and spreading fast, like a virus.

"Watch out, there's a giant spider on you!" he had yelled, pointing down at the setter.

The gym has panicked, their team in hysterics as their eyes darted to watch giant black marks sprawl down his leg.

They had later figured out that it wasn't a bug, but rather their soulmate trying and failing at drawing a dragon on their calf.