25

Chapter Twenty-Five | Don't Panic

"Are you sure you have to go?" Asher whispered to me, his hands wrapped around my waist as he pressed me against his warm bare-chest.

We stood on his front porch only hours before the sun would rise to announce a new day. It sits still resolutely below the horizon and the street is as dark as some old-school black and white movie. I don't know what time it is, nor do I really care, but I know my parents — specifically my father, must be the least bit curious on his only child whereabouts.

"We literally have to be at school in a few hours." I remained Asher, who only pouted his bottom lip like a child at my words.

"Are you sure you're coming to school today? You've been out all night, and I know you need your eight-hours or else you get all grumpy and bitchy — well, bitchy-er."

"I'll be fine," I reassured, rolling my eyes at his last comment. "Besides, I'd rather be at school on the verge of passing out from the lack of sleep than be at home with my parents. I already know Imani's parent told them what happened at the dinner party. I'll just deal with everything after school."

Tonight has been one of the longest nights of my life. I ended up breaking up with Imani which ended in me getting slapped like some rag doll, and somehow I ended up Asher's house, and then his backyard, and then his bed. I was exhausted beyond belief, and if I were to leave right now I'd only be able to catch a couple hours of sleep before I had to get right back up again for school.

"I don't want you to go." Asher mumbles against my neck, and I found myself fighting a smile as his hands grip my lower waist.

"I don't either but you know how my parents are."

Asher exhaled a low sigh, looking at me with downcast eyes. "Oh, Parris." He said softly, as if he feared of speaking too loudly. I lifted my gaze to meet his. I could see the resolve snap in his brown star-flecked eyes as he brought his mouth down on my own.

I closed my eyes as the feeling of his lips on mine threatened to undo me. The kiss was gentle at first, hesitant. Almost as if he half expected me to change my mind and pull away. I only slid my arms around his shoulders and pressed myself harder against him, letting him know with my body that I wanted this more than I had ever wanted anything. More than I wanted food and air.

He deepened the kiss and his tongue swept in, parting my lips under his. I made a small noise in the back of my throat. It only seemed to entice him more and he loosened a growl as his grip around my waist tightened, and I tangled my hands around his neck hoping to keep him close to me, always. We were fused together, our lips moving in time with one another, and I felt as if I was home. I got lost in him for I'm not sure how long, but it felt far too short. It wasn't until he gently pulled away that I snapped out of the trance I'd been put in.