Chapter 68

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Two days.
That's how long it had been since I was out of my room. That was how long I was in my bed, tucked into my blanket. I still felt very cold, dizzy and very lazy. I felt so sick, and I was in a lot of pain. I had spent the whole day, the day before, shivering, taking pain relief medicines and trying to stop my fever, and I had locked myself in my room so no one had to know. Thank God for the weekends.

My throat was sore. and the last time I had checked the mirror, my face had lost a lot of color too. I was awfully pale. I shifted under my blanket when I heard my phone ring again. By now, I must have had over a hundred missed calls since I had intentionally ignored all the calls that had come in all through the weekend. This particular person had been calling for five minutes straight, and probably texting too because my phone kept churning after every third call. I was so numb around my legs. It has hard to even turn around, talk more of reaching for my phone. but I managed to, groaning the entire time I did. I tried to search my bed with my hand till I felt my phone, I picked up on impulse.

"Mnnnn. What's up." I said the moment I recognized Kingsley's voice from the other side of the phone. I was too lazy to even open my eyes to check who the caller was.

"Where are you?"

I forced saliva down my sore throat and it hurt like hell.

"Home."

"I've been trying to reach you all day yesterday. Where did you drop your phone bro?"

"I'm sorry, I've not actually been out of the house or excited to. I think I'm down with something-"

"I found it." He cut me off before I could even complete my sentence. What was he talking about? I drew a deep breath. "What you asked me to do. I found out about the relationship between Kora and Charles."

And from that moment, I opened my eyes immediately, pushed the blanket off my body and sat up quickly. Was he serious? Did he really find out? Did he really know what exactly the story was between Kora and that guy, and why she acted the way she did, the day they saw him at the rooftop?

"You serious?"

Kingsley exhaled.

"But I must warn you man, I'm not sure it's something you'd want to know or get yourself and family involved in. It's a really scary and sad stuff."

I only had two seconds to decide what it was going to be. If I wanted to know the secret he had found or not. I rubbed my aching forehead gently.

"Tell me." I dropped my hands. "What is it?"

Kingsley exhaled. He was taking his time. I could sense it. He was trying to hold back. To hold back the information. Why was he hesitating?

"Kingsley." I could sense something was wrong. I could hear him breathing the way he did when he was nervous. "What's going on man?"