Chapter 5

Arthur's p.o.v

"We're here" I hear a voice say shaking me awake. I can't believe I slept the whole ride here. All the traffic made me really think that we wouldn't get here anytime soon.

"Huh?" I say with the sleep pulling me back and I feel a sting on my cheek making me jump up.

"We here" pops repeats and I sit up rubbing my eyes a little to get rid of the sleep. When I finally come to my senses, I roll the windows down and check the place out. The building we're supposedly staying in doesn't look as bad as the last one.

"We got a room on the second floor" pops says taking a luggage out of the trunk and I nod.

"Aight" I say and get up to get my luggage as well to follow pops inside the building. I'll come get the other ones later, I'm too tired right now.

As soon as we enter, the scent of weed hits my nose and I scrunch my face up looking around to see where it's coming from and it's none other than my uncle who is waiting to show us around the place. He was supposed to get us an apartment beforehand. When dad is close enough, they shake each other's hands.

"Sup nephew" he says and I dab him up when I get close to him. This nigga does never not smoke.

"I'm cool, uncle James" I say.

"You helping out too?" He asks referring to the job.

"Naah, he still in school" pops cuts me off making me kiss my teeth in frustration. "You gone show us around?" he asks walking towards the elevator.

"We gone have to take the stairs cause the elevator ain't working" uncle James tells us with a thick accent so we follow him up the stairs.

When we get to the second floor he stops at a door and pulls out a key. "This is it" he says opening the door and we walk in.

"Not enough but it's aight" he says turning on a light in this broad daylight. That wasn't necessary.

"Good enough for a couple of months" pops says dropping his luggage on the dirty floor.

I look around at the small space. Outside looked so much better. This place is in a very bad condition and it could collapse any minute. Some lights aren't even working, the walls aren't painted and the floor is fucking dusty.

"Two rooms and a bathroom. Y'all gone have to share" my uncle says and sits down on the couch that looks like it could break any time.

"Pick one, Arthur" pops says and I walk into what seems like the kitchen. My eyes fall on the sink that seems clogged. The water must've been there for a while. I open the empty fridge to check if it's working and it surprisingly is so I close it and walk back to the living room.

When pops sees me he stops talking to uncle James and looks at me. 'Must be one of those things I'm not allowed to hear' I think to myself, take my luggage and walk into one of the rooms that's mine now. I look around and there's not much in here, there's plastic on the bed so I remove it and lay down on my back staring at the ceiling.

'I'm back in my hometown' I sigh as my mind drift to the things we, mostly pops went through when he lived here.

Pops never finished high school because of multiple reasons and my grandparents weren't the richest so that left him broke. After that he made some bad decisions like joining a gang, selling drugs and my grandparents threw him out when they caught him doing it.

He struggled on those very streets to get some bread and to his luck he got some hoe pregnant. That hoe is my mother who I don't give one fuck about because she never wanted me. She handed me over to pops right after she gave birth to me and went back to stripping. I don't even care where's she's at right now. To me, she's as good as dead because she me everything difficult.