Prologue

Our world was once like yours. Our people were divided into two: men and women. Fathers and mothers. Kings and queens. Princes and princesses. However, the Demon King decided he wanted to end us once and for all. While most demon kings would simply wage war, this demon king was crafty and cruel. His sorcerers created an infectious disease that killed any woman who caught it. They released it and women quickly went extinct in the kingdom. All seemed lost. What hope did we have? Why fight when there was no future to fight for? Without women, there can be no future. It seemed like their generation would be the last.

     However, the King was stubborn and refused to yet his people fall like this. He gathered the best sorcerers in the land to try to create women using magic. They took male volunteers and did experiments on them. Dispute their best effort, the couldn't change their test subjects into women. The closest they got was extremely effeminate men. These men looked like women for the most part and even developed an instinctual attraction towards men, but still didn't have the correct body parts for reproduction. Their last hope seemed dashed.

     Until one day, a servant had an affair with one of the test subjects. When they were caught, the sorcerers were furious. That is until they noticed that when the pairs semen mixed it glowed. Curiosity took them. They experimented with this and discovered that if you dropped a man's semen and one of these effeminate men's semen into a jar full of holy water, the jar becomes a womb and a fetus develops from within. The children birthed from this method were healthy and appeared no different than a child birthed through the normal means. Half of the children born were male, but the other were born with a new gender, the effeminate men. These people of this new gender were named maidens. And they were the solution the kingdom needed.

     It became clear women couldn't be revived, so society embraced the maidens. Eventually, the population recovered to a healthy level. The kingdom outwitted the Demon King. The maidens adapted to society and society adapted to the maidens. It took awhile for straight men to get used to maidens. At first the fact that they both had male genitalia was a turn off. But eventually most men grew to not mind it. In fact, many began to prefer the maidens over women. Since you need a jar of holy water to reproduce, there were no more accidental pregnancies. Couples could make love without fear.

     A century passed and the kingdom had completely recovered. Women were all but legend. In the balls of the palace gentlemen courted maidens, not ladies. The wife of the reigning King himself was a maiden. And the heir to the throne is me, Delia, princess of Astolia. A maiden. But the Demon King will not lie dormant forever. Once he awakens to see that we survived his disease, he will once again try to destroy us. We need a hero. One that can put an end to the Demon King. Will you be our hero?