Myths

I swallowed thickly and debated calling him out on being weird and stalking my room, but I was too exhausted so I just explained my dream as quickly as possible. 

"I don't understand..."

"Yeah well get in line pal."

"Let me be more clear. Explain to me what was happening when you were playing with the jacks."

"I don't.. really know. I don't have an actual memory of this happening. It felt real in the dream, but I don't recall the actual events at all. The first part with the jacks... that felt more like something that happened but I repressed. But. After I threw the jacks and bouncy ball, I don't know the presence in the woods that felt foreign. Not familiar like the rest of the dream."

"Okay so you feel confident in the fact that the beginning of your dream is something that might have happened? When you say the presence in the woods felt foreign what do you mean?" Kane asked intently.

I took a breath and tried to put my feelings into words, "It felt... not like a memory." Well I'm sure that really cleared it up for him. Before he could comment I cleared my throat and tried again. 

"The beginning of the dream was warm and soft. Kinda like how you feel when you daydream about something. I was just a voyeur. The second half of the dream was crystal clear. When I stood up I wasn't six year old Cassie anymore I was me. Now."

"Alright, lets get back to the game you were playing then. Why didn't your mom want you playing?"

I realized that in my previous explanation he hadn't quite understood.

"Kane, the ball was just... floating in the air. Like gravity didn't affect it," I waved my hand vaguely in the air and tried not to freak out. If the dream was a memory then somehow I kept the ball from falling. I'll give Kane credit he didn't blink an eye.

"In the dream when your mom found you she wasn't surprised by what you were doing? Was she upset?"

"I mean yeah, she was upset but it was more like she was upset that I was doing it not that I could do it. Does that make sense?"

Kane didn't answer me, but looked up at Mia standing in the doorway of the bathroom we shared. Her face was calm, but I could hear her pulse thudding. 

"Mia, lets help Cassie to my bedroom. I think she needs to rest where I can keep a better eye one her."

I opened my mouth to protest but a sharp look from Kane made me close it. He quickly pointed to his ear and for once I was able to read between the lines. His bedroom was one of two rooms in the house that were completely sound proof. The basement being the other. I could see how some might get suspicious if we all crept down to the basement in the middle of the night, but surely no one would fault Kane for wanting to keep an eye on his pet rogue and get a goodnights sleep in the process. Well. Sierra might.

Mia and Kane helped me hobble out of the room like the invalid I was. My body was sore from sleeping, then being forced to move and stretch my stitches as I limped down the hall. When we got to the stair case that led up to Kane's bedroom I was ashamed to hear a whimper escape my throat. Fucking stairs. Without a word Kane gently lifted me in his arms. I was too relieved to protest. I didn't miss the irony that every time I had been up these stairs it was carried in Kane's arms.

"You know one day I'm going to walk up these stairs on my own."

Kane looked sharply down at my face, "I look forward to it."

Well fuck Cassie, that sounded like a promise didn't it? Open mouth insert foot. I thought about trying to explain that's not really what I had meant, but I was having trouble talking around the size seven in my mouth.