Chapter 16

It had been three days since the riot at Arkham, three days since Blair had talked to anyone she lived with

It had been three days since the riot at Arkham, three days since Blair had talked to anyone she lived with. It was starting to be a common occurrence; her and Jason would get into a fight, Bruce would swoop in and remind Blair of what she was missing, and she was left to figure out how to put her broken pieces back together, completely alone.

"There are protocols we have to follow, Miss Wilde." The receptionist repeated for the third time that morning.

Blair rolled her eyes, "Listen, I know there are protocols, but last I checked, there are no rules against sending flowers to a patient in this institution."

"You're asking to fill the room with daisies." The receptionist, Melissa according to her name tag, pointed out.

"Yes I am." Blair shrugged, nonchalantly.

"Why?"

Why? Because Blair had seen the sadness in a man's eyes, a man that wasn't an immediate danger unless there was technology at his disposal. Because the flowers were to him what the stars were to her, a sign of hope and a comforting force.

Instead of voicing this aloud, Blair cocked her head to the side, giving Melissa an innocent but knowing smile, "Because this place is literally a waiting room for death, the least I can do is make it more bearable for the people waiting. Maybe, just maybe, if you people learned to do the same, you wouldn't have so many patient riots and breakouts."

Melissa looked at Blair in silent shock, making her feel somewhat satisfied with herself as she continued to speak, "Now, either do what I asked, which isn't breaking any laws or protocols, or I can call my godfather who owns this institution and see what he thinks about it."

"Your godfather owns this place?" A familiar voice came from behind her. "I take it he wasn't too happy when he found out about the breakout."

Blair turned around slowly, coming face-to-face with River Tyler holding a bag of food from the same burger joint that her and her uncle always ate at. She studied him quickly, noting the bruise fading on the side of his eye where the Joker had forced the pistol to his head. Other than that and the haunted look in his eyes, you would never be able to tell he was stuck in the asylum a few nights before.

"Oh, no. He wasn't." She replied to his earlier statement. She looked at him again, putting on her best thoughtful face before saying, "You know, you kind of look like my guard here."

"Your guard?" River raised an eyebrow. "You have your own guard?"

"Yes, she does." Johnny's familiar voice joined the two, a stern look on his face. "What are you doing here River? After the breakout a few days ago, you shouldn't be anywhere near here."

"You were here?" Blair pretended to be shocked.

River looked down at his feet, nodding, "Not exactly a great memory, but yeah. Got to meet Gotham's finest."