[12] the meet-up

"Madison was really nice," Felicia said, an almost solemn smile on her lips, "she told me that she hadn't known that he had a girlfriend and that she'd left him only a few minutes after I left." 

Dylan sat on the other side of the café table, slowly stirring his latte with a spoon. The rain pattered lightly against the windowpane, but still, people hurried by in the downpour. Sure, most had umbrellas, but Dylan was sure that he would do anything to not have to walk in the rain.

The dim lights in the coffee shop gave the room a cozy atmosphere and the two of them had been sitting there for a good while now. Probably over an hour, Dylan thought as he turned his gaze back to his friend.

"She said that she was sorry, and then she asked if I wanted to meet again, and if I needed a ride home," Felicia continued.

"What did you answer?" Dylan asked, recognizing the pause from Felicia as a question if he was still listening, and by asking a question he showed that he had. 

"I said 'sure'," she looked out the window for a few seconds, "to the meeting again part, but I told her that I had a ride already. She seemed sincere with everything, but then again, I thought Xander was, too. I'll see if there will be another meeting, but I suppose that getting a new friend from all this wouldn't be too bad."

"True," Dylan agreed after he'd taken a sip from his drink, "I think you should meet again, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Exactly."

A comfortable silence settled over the two of them. There weren't many other people at the small coffee place, but that was nothing new; It was smaller than most café's around town, and if you didn't know that it was there, there was a large chance that you would miss it from the outside. Still, he and Felicia had been going there for years, and they hadn't found a place with better coffee.

 "Hey," Dylan downed the last of his coffee, "did I tell you that we are invited to Chris's post-Halloween party. A costume party." 

"Oh my god! No, you didn't!" Felicia exclaimed, a wide grin spreading over her face. "Oh, I gotta pick a costume right away. Well, tonight maybe. Do you know what you're gonna be?" 

"Eh, no," Dylan smiled at Felicia's excitement, "something basic, probably." 

"I thought you would say that," his friend returned his smile, "I'm gonna find something for you, too, don't you worry." 

"Why am I not surprised?" Dylan laughed. "Are we ready to go?" 

Felicia looked at her phone for a second before swinging her bag over her shoulder and nodding. "Yeah."

Both of them grabbed their things and hurried through the rain over to Dylan's car. The first few minutes were quiet, the tapping of water droplets calming Dylan's mind.

"William's home." He said after a while. Felicia's eyes were on him in a split second, her jaw dropping to the floor. 

"What? Seriously?" She sounded worried and he couldn't blame her, considering she knew more than most. "Do you want to crash at my place? Mom and dad wouldn't mind at all. Is he like he was? Where has he even been?"

Dylan made a motion with his hand, gesturing for her to calm down. "No, I- it's fine, I would have told you if it wasn't-"

"How long has he been there?" She questioned. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Felicia, it's fine, really," Dylan made an attempt to calm his friend, "he's... not like he was. I mean, he seems different, and I really hope that it's not all an act. He's been home for almost a week. And I meant to tell you, it just slipped my mind."