Fox 6

"What are you doing?" 

Noah's sudden words startled Fox, making him slip from his precarious perch halfway up the open spice cabinet. Luckily, he was caught right before he hit the hard kitchen floor. Unlike a cat, he knew that he did not normally land on his feet. 

Once set down, Fox twitched his whiskers and flicked his left ear with a paw before licking said paw. To answer your question... causing trouble. It seems to be the one thing I'm good at. 

"One day I'll know exactly what you're saying," Noah said as he walked over to the cabinet Fox had worked so hard to open. He was just about to close it when his attention drifted upward, to the top shelf Fox had been trying to reach. 

"Okay. I know exactly what you were thinking... you brat," he chastised. 

You say this in a negative tone, yet you're still reaching up there to give me what I was going for. 

Noah grabbed the container of cocoa down from the top shelf and turned, looking down at him for a brief moment before nodding to the container in his hand. 

"You do realize that this isn't chocolate, right?" he asked, as if Fox didn't know that cocoa was the main ingredient for the treat. 

It's close enough. I just want something sweet, so give me. 

He walked up to Noah's leg and pawed at it as he sniffed the air and licked his lips. When the man knelt down, he put his front paws on his bent knee and tried to grab the container with his mouth. 

"Calm down. If you really want it, I'll let you have it, but first you need to try it. I'm pretty sure you don't understand what this stuff tastes like," Noah said as he carefully popped the lid off and took out a pinch of the dark brown dust with his fingers. 

The moment they were close enough to his mouth Fox leaned forward and licked the cocoa off. When he was done, he sat back on his haunches and opened and closed his mouth several times, then looked up into Noah's eyes, then back down as he stuck his tongue out a few times. 

Why is this so bitter! 

Running over to the water bowl, Fox downed the remaining half that was left, then shook his head with his mouth open, squeaking out a hissing grumble in disgust. 

"I had a feeling. Good thing I didn't let you dig in right away."

The humor in his tone had Fox's fur bristling. It wasn't his fault that he didn't know cocoa was bitter. He'd never had it by itself and just figured that because it was in chocolate, that it was sweet. He was just getting up to walk out of the room, intent on finding somewhere away from Noah to pout, when he felt something nudge at his mouth. 

"Here. This is what you want, right?" 

Leaning back slightly, Fox looked down at the little piece of chocolate Noah was offering. His mood immediately brightened as he snapped it up carefully and began chomping it up. To his surprise, it was still a bit bitter, but there was definitely more sweet flavor than anything. 

"I hope you don't mind that kind. I like it a bit more bitter than most kid's chocolate. You might be used to the milk kind. This is about seventy percent dark," Noah explained as he broke off another piece and lifted it to his own lips. 

Fox watched him intently, unsure if he wanted another or not. It wasn't bad... but it wasn't what he'd initially wanted. After watching Noah eat two more pieces he'd broken off of the chocolate bar he was holding, Fox relented and took a step forward, then sat down and flicked an ear. 

"You want another piece?" Noah asked, even as he broke off a small part and offered it to him. "This will be the last one for now, though. I'll give you more when I get home from work."