Matrimony

"Long time stranger." Cara's voice rips me away from my thoughts. "Hey! Good to have you along." Cara glances down at the child in my lap. "This your kid or..." "Yeah, something like that." Cara nods at the creature.

"Need some help?" Mando asks me as he places his hands on my hips without hesitation and hoists me up to sit upon the trailer. "Thank you." I say inching over and making room for Cara and Mando.

"So, we're basically running off a band of Raiders for lunch money?" "They're quartering us in the middle of nowhere. Last I checked, that's a pretty square deal for somebody in your position. Worst case scenario, you tune up your blaster. Best case, we're a deterrent." I stare at the treetops while Mando explains the deal.

"I can't imagine there's anything living in these trees that an ex-shock trooper couldn't handle." I wink at Cara causing her to smirk. "You've got the right mindset, Solo."

I sink down on the metal feeling the days stresses work to collapse me. Cara soon rests with her head back and eyes closed. As they sleep I watch the passing stars. I glance over at Mando letting my eyes take in every inch of his form. Why did this Mandalorian save me from my fate? He could've left and forgotten all the trouble, but he saved me. Maybe I could be happy with the Mandalorian.

"Are you alright?"

I see Mando arms stretched out and helmet faced towards me. I shrug stopping my mind from running. "I'm okay." Mando lowers his arms and moves closer, looking at the child tucked away.

"What's wrong?" "I'm just thinking, Mando." I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "About?" I smile at the Mandalorian feeling my heart soften. "This. I don't understand what's happening, but I don't think I want it to stop." Mando freezes at my side. "This?" I nod look at him.

"Why did you come back, Mando?"

"I don't know, Aria."

I smile laughing softly. "You never do something without a reason. Just makes me wonder." "About what, Aria?" I lean closer into his side resting my head against his amour clad chest. 

"What makes me so special that you'd risk your life."

~

"Everyone, they're here! Come on." Laughter and sunlight force me to wake up rolling out of Mando's tightened arms. I look at him and smile. "I'm sorry." I kiss the side of his helmet. "Don't be." I whisper getting out fo the trailer.

"Well, looks like they're happy to see us." Cara notes the many small children running to us and playing with the child.

Mando and I are led to a small barn configured into a small guest home. I place the child in a small crib and smile at him. "I hope this is comfortable for you two. I'm sorry that all we have is the barn." 

"This will do fine." Mando says laying his many weapons out. "Shoot, better than some places I've had to sleep."

She nods smiling. "I stacked some blankets over here. There is just one bed. I hope that will do."

I spin around to see the small bed on the corner. "Oh."

"Was I mistaken? I assumed-" "No. That's very kind." Mando speaks before I say anything. A small creek in the floorboards sound and in a split second I'm behind Mando with his blaster aimed at the door. A small head peaks out. "It's a little girl," I whisper lowering Mando's arm.

"This is my daughter, Winta. We don't get a lot of visitors around here. She's not used to strangers." Omera bends down towards her daughter. "This nice man and women are going to help protect us from the bad ones." Winta nods sheepishly. "Thank you."

"Let's give our guests some room." Omera speaks and walks her daughter out of the room.

I plop on the bed crossing my legs. "So. These people are nice." Mando nods with a slight chuckle and raises his head to me. "They also think we're married." I pick at my shirt nodding. "I noticed that." Mando nods back in return and turns back organizing his weapons.

"Knock, knock." Omera's voice carries from outside. "Come in."

Winta walks over, looking at the child. "Can I feed him?" "Sure."

Winta giggles as the child chews the small amount of food. I walk over crouching down to her side. "Do you want to play with him?" Winta nods with a smile and I place the child on his feet.

As I follow the children outside Mando's voice pulls me away. "I don't think-" "They'll be fine." Omera supports nodding at me.

Mando steps up once more. "Aira, I don't-" "We'll be okay. I promise." I smile at him and exit following my child.

~

Aria smiles as she walks away with the foundling. "I brought you some food. Your wife asked me to bring some in here. She said you didn't eat in front of others."

There is that word again. Wife. Aria isn't my wife. Were we even friends? I saved her and she ended up sticking around. I ended up liking her company. What do you call that? Nonetheless, I don't correct the young women. Only smile at the thought of Aria remembering me in her mind.

"That's very thoughtful of both of you."

"Do you mind if I ask you something?" The widow's voice carries. "Go ahead."

"How long has it been since you've taken that off?" 

"Yesterday." 

"I mean, in front of someone else." I walk over to Omera standing near the window seeing the children play. I recognize Aria sitting with the child and laughing as the other kids run around.

"I wasn't much older than they are." Omera's eyes follow the children and land on Aria and her child. "You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a kid?" "No. I was happy that they took me in. My parents were killed and the Mandalorians took care of me."

"I'm sorry."

"This is the Way."

Silence thickens between us as we watch the merriment outside. "Has your wife ever seen your face?"

I pause for a moment before shaking my head. "No. She's very patient." I say lightly. "Let us know if there's anything you two need."