- PART 30 -

THEO

~

THIS WASN'T WHAT I wanted. Since starting at Hogwarts, I'd done my best to avoid any connection to Sirius. Dropping Black from my surname, dying my hair, diving as far into Slytherin culture as I could; For five years, I'd practically been the opposite of Harry. I got drunk, I fought— I wasn't a good person.

But now, it wasn't about being bad or good— it was about winning.

I did what I always do in a tough situation— I ran. Ran away from Sirius and into the forest, entering for the first time since the night with Crouch. The sun was still shining and birds chirped— it was calm and peaceful, despite the furious beating of my heart and the loud smack of my feet against the forest floor.

A pair of arms grabbed me before I fully disappeared into the woods, nearly tackling me in an effort to make me stop. I winced even though I wasn't in pain, shuddering as my breathing calmed. Tears stung my eyes but I tried my hardest to keep them from falling, tried my hardest to keep myself upright, tried my hardest to keep my eyes shut.

"Theodosia," He begged, arms slowly releasing me.

My eyes forced themselves open, meeting his with hesitance. I used to hate my eyes— grey bulbs matching the steel shade people claimed the Black family was known for.

"I'm not your— " My voice cracked, the words choking me. 

His hands reached for my face, cupping my cheeks hesitantly. I let him, too confused and tired to stop him. "Your dad— my brother —loved you so, so much."

"He's dead?" I questioned with shaking hands.

Sirius nodded, pushing hair from my face. "We thought it'd be best if we said you were mine— "

"We?"

"James, Remus— "

I stepped back, away from his grasp. "What about Dean— how did he know?"

"I don't know— he must've found something. A picture or a letter— we didn't mean for this to happen."

"I can't— I can't deal with this." I moved further away, towards the direction I knew the school was in. "I'll deal with all this crap you've caused after the Task."

"I'll see you at the Feast, then?" He questioned with hesitance. "I'm guessing you want to sit with the Slytherins?"

I sighed, refusing to turn back. Even with all of the shit we just talked about, he sounded so angry about the whole Slytherin thing. This stranger who paraded around as my fucking dad for my whole life— he thought he had the right to judge me. 

"Just sit with Harry," I responded, pushing through the trees. "I don't need you there. I don't want you there."

__

A half-hour before the feast, I was shaken awake from the restless slumber I'd fallen into upon entering the Slytherin Dorms— my one retreat from Sirius. No way Snape would let some Gryffindor into his House.

Looking up at Kia, I wondered for a second if I was dreaming. In her hands was my uniform for the Task— long sleeve and pants — along with a brush and a green hair ribbon.

"You can't win the cup in those." She proclaimed, ordering me to change. I looked at my now-wrinkled school uniform

Raising an eyebrow, I took the clothes without a word, not daring to disturb whatever had taken over Kia. She hadn't spoken to me in what felt like forever, yet here she was— ready to help me.

Pulling the stretchy material over my head, I fought the shiver crawling up my stomach. Something felt off about this tournament. Figuring it was just nerves, I pulled on the pants as well, tightening the belt around my waist. Kia began brushing my hair while I laced my boots tightly, fingers surprisingly gentle. I wondered if she secretly wanted to rip the strands from my scalp, but she gave no indication. 

"Don't fuck this up," She said as she tied off the braid with a green ribbon. "You're Theodosia fucking Marx— don't let any one of those bitches get in your way."

I nodded, retrieving my wand from the nightstand and tucking it into the waist of my pants. Shrugging on my jacket, I looked at Kia, offering a tired smile. "Thank you."

She offered a shaky smile, looking down. "Yeah."

"I'm really sorry about— "

"It's . . . we don't need to talk about it." The way her lips twitched downward every few seconds said otherwise, but I knew better than to question it.

"This kinda reminds me of Second Year— "

"Before your Quidditch Try-Outs?" She finished, nodding. "Yeah, I remember."

__

My hands couldn't stop shaking. Long black hair whipped around my face as I searched for my other sneaker, heart racing. I was going to be late— late for what could be the start of my career as a Pro Quidditch Player.

I mean, probably not, but a girl could dream. . . 

"Doe— Doe!"

I stopped my frantic search, looking up at Kia. From her hand dangled my left shoe. "You threw it in the bathroom cause you thought you saw a spider— remember?"

Nodding, I took the shoe, heart refusing to slow. As I laced up my shoes, nimble fingers thread through my hair, pulling it from my face. I jerked, a flash of my mother coming to mind. "Kia? What are you doing?"

"Your hair is much too long." She informed, twisting the long locks into a braid. "It won't get in the way braided."

"Oh." I nodded. "Uh, thanks."

__

"Ivy, Adrian and the rest of us will be in the stands— front row." She pulled on her own shoes, lacing them quickly. "Cassius is making his little brother save us seats."

I nodded, walking out the door with Kia at my side. Her hand rested on my shoulder in a tight grip as we walked through the dungeons and towards the Great Hall, grounding me.

This was it. The end of all this chaos— finally.

__

A/N: Whelp...

Ok, next chapter is it. The Third Task, the end of Fifth Year, but maybe the start of something else.

In case you haven't figured it out, Theo isn't Sirius Black's daughter. Sorry, I know the title makes it confusing, but I didn't want this to be an x George fic and I wanted you to be as surprised as Theo when you figured it out. Please don't spoil it for anyone not caught up and comment on your thoughts or questions.

WORD COUNT: 1062