(6)

Sophie falls into a dreamless sleep just before dawn. She wakes up to somebody standing over her bed.

Without a second thought she's on her feet, dagger in hand.

"Whoa, whoa! Easy!" the person yelps, falling backwards onto the floor.

Sophie blinks away her drowsiness as her eyes adjust to the dim lighting. "Wylie?" she exclaims, wide-eyed.

He rubs the back of his head as he stands up. "Well, yeah. I didn't think you'd still be sleeping, sorry."

Sophie tackles him with a hug and he stumbles back with a grunt. "Okay, easy there, kid. It's good to see you too." He pats her on the head.

She pulls away and winces. "Sorry. I forgot you'd be here today!"

He smiles softly. "Tiergan told me everything that happened. Sounds like you have a lot going on." Then he frowns. "Where'd you get that knife?"

When she doesn't answer, he says, "Were you sleeping with a knife under your pillow, Sophie?"

She blushes and looks away. "It's a dagger, actually."

Wylie drags a hand down his face. "Man, kiddo, you got issues."

Sophie snorts. "You're one to talk."

She slips her weapon back into its sheath on the ground. Last night (or earlier in the morning, she supposes), she'd barely had the energy to kick off her shoes before crawling under the covers.

"What time is it?" she suddenly asks. The windowless room offers no indication as to whether it's night or day. The glowing gemstones in the walls are the only source of light.

"Let's say it's closer to sunset than it is to sunrise," Wylie answers, and Sophie groans. "Hey, come on, I was supposed to get you out of here. Get dressed and let's go."

Sophie frowns. "Go where?"

"I was told that you asked Stina Heks to help you with Greyfell," Wylie says. "She was very insistent about it. Something about a Prattles pin?" Sophie rolls her eyes and he shrugs. "Hey, I'm just the messenger. I also figured I could catch a ride with you to the Wanderling Woods."

"How did you know I was going there?"

Wylie smiles softly. "It's been almost two years, hasn't it?"

He leaves the room while Sophie gets dressed. After pulling on her boots and twisting her hair back into a messy braid, she follows Wylie through the winding corridors. He guides them onto a staircase that spirals upwards until they reach the surface.

They emerge into a grassy meadow dotted with small flowers. The sun hovers above the mountains in the distance, where a few large birds circle lazily in the clouds. Sitting on the slope below is Stina, and beside her is a large grey alicorn.

"Finally," she scoffs as Sophie and Wylie make their way towards her. "It took a whole bunch of swizzlespice to get him to even land."

"Is that true, Greyfell?" Sophie asks the alicorn jokingly. Greyfell just snorts, pushing his nose into Sophie's hand affectionately.

"Whatever." Stina holds out a hand. "One sabertooth, please."

Sophie blinks sheepishly. "Actually... all my stuff is at Rimeshire right now."

Stina's mouth falls open as Sophie and Wylie climb onto Greyfell's back. "You lied to me?"

"I promise I'll give it to you as soon as I can! Sorry!" Sophie calls. Wylie wraps his arms around her as Greyfell launches them upward.

Sophie sends the alicorn an image of the Wanderling Woods. Greyfell circles thoughtfully a few more times, then tucks in his wings and dives.

There's a thunderous crack. She hears Wylie scream, and then they're sucked into the void.

The Wanderling Woods appear below them in a vast expanse of green. The atmosphere is completely silent. Sophie shudders as she's reminded a little too much of the previous night. Instead she squints her eyes and scans the trees as Greyfell spirals downward.

In the distance she spots a pale tree with turquoise blossoms. Its branches are draped in yellow leaves. Her stomach turns and she looks away.

"There," Wylie says, pointing. She follows his gaze to a large, swaying tree covered in pink blossoms. It stands tall and alone in a wide clearing.

Sophie gently directs Greyfell towards the tree and he lands gracefully. Together they approach the tree and stand under its branches, admiring the bright-colored Panake blossoms up close.

She closes her eyes; she can almost hear Calla's soft voice in the breeze rustling its branches. Sophie had known the gnome since her fateful arrival in the Lost Cities, and in many ways, Calla had been like a mother to her. It had been two years since Calla discovered the secret of the Panakes, but the hurt never went away.

"I miss her, Wyles," Sophie says in a whisper. Her voice still sounds too harsh in the quiet forest.

Wylie ruffles her hair. "Me too, Soybean," he replies.

"I wish I had time to make starkflower stew," Sophie says sullenly, and he chuckles softly.

"You've already got enough to worry about. Like the Council visiting yesterday? What was up with that?"

"Bronte wants me to investigate the Vackers. He might be onto something. Alvar's disappearance can't be a coincidence."

Wylie snorts. "I'm not surprised. All Vackers are bad news."

Sophie makes a face, and he nudges her. "Chin up. I'm sure you'll like Foxfire, though." He grins cheekily. "Dex is going to have a hard time keeping the boys away from you. Or the girls, for that matter."

Sophie turns bright red. "Wylie!" she exclaims.

He laughs, bright and piercing in the silence of the woods. "Do you remember when you were kids—and he had a huge crush on you—and proposed to you with a Ripplefluff—" He breaks off in a fit of laughter.

Sophie's face feels like it's on fire. She punches him in the shoulder. "That was years ago!"

They collapse into giggles as they playfully shove each other back and forth. Sophie almost forgets that they're in the Wanderling Woods. Almost.

"Do you want some time alone?" Wylie asks after a while. "I wanted to visit Mom for a bit."

Sophie nods wordlessly. He heads out of the clearing, leaving her and Greyfell alone under the Panakes tree.

The tree rustles in the breeze, and Sophie takes a deep, steadying breath. She learned a long time ago that it didn't help to cry over things she couldn't fix. Breathe. Rinse. Repeat.

She sits back and brushes away her tears, then tries for a smile. "Hey, Calla. You'll never guess what Dex did to Stina's lushberry juice the other day..."