Chapter 29: Preparing for War

(AN: I love this Obi-Wan art from UNIQUELEGEND on DeviantArt. I hope you enjoy this chapter! We hit 23k reads and over 600 likes this week. It's really incredible to see how fast this book is growing, so thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me. In other news, I've started Sylvan's POV for my next fanfic, so I'm SO excited for you to read it.

Question for you guys: What is your most burning question about Alana and her backstory? If you don't have any, what has been your favorite chapter so far? Let me know in the comments! Much love -Rach)

Once Alana and Anakin finally parted ways, Alana made her way to the medical bay, entering to the sounds of her Padawan protesting against treatment.

"No, no! I'm perfectly fine now. I need to go find my Master, I'm sure she's looking for me,"

"You need your rest," a clone voice replied. "The droids said you wouldn't be able to properly use your foot for a few more days."

"Absolutely not, Captain. Now let me out of here this instant or-"

"Sylvan," Alana said, rounding the corner to see her Padawan sitting upright on a bed, practically being restrained by Captain Rex. He had gotten out of the briefing room before Alana had finished speaking with Anakin.

"Please don't finish that threat, Sylvan," Alana continued. "You'll be doing whatever the droids tell you."

Seeing Alana arrive, Captain Rex let go of Sylvan, who had stopped struggling against him to get out of bed. Her ears and face drooped down as she looked over at her Master.

"Rex briefed me on the situation, Master. He said that the Separatists are planning an attack of Kamino."

"Good, thank you," Alana said to the clone. He glanced over at Sylvan, a concerned expression flashing across his face before it vanished and he excused himself from the room. Alana raised an eyebrow before looking back at Sylvan. "That trooper seems rather fond of you," she said.

"He's a good man," Sylvan said. "Although, I didn't particularly like him keeping me here. It's just a broken ankle."

"Broken ankle? I thought you strained it," Alana replied. "All the more reason for you to lay back down and keep your foot elevated until whatever the droids have done heals you. You will have your time for action in the coming days. I need you when the attack occurs, and if you injure yourself again in the next few days, you won't be able to join me on the front lines."

"Yes, Master," Sylvan said quietly, looking down at her hands.

Alana looked at her Padawan's upset expression, and she pursed her lips. That had always been one of Sylvan's downfalls, just like Alana. They both were stubborn, and they both hated sitting still. It was one of their lesser capabilities.

"Why don't we get you a moving chair, then you can join me as I go to meet with the Blitz Company and the rest of our ground defenses," Alana suggested, knowing that that would keep Sylvan out of trouble and off her foot.

Sylvan's face lit up at the suggestion. Soon enough, Sylvan was sitting on a moving chair, sitting so that her face was almost at eye-level with Alana. They left the medical wing, with Alana promising the medical droids and Kaminoan healers that she would keep Sylvan off of her feet.

The two of them made their way down the hallway to where the command center would be located during the battle. They met up with Commander Bash, the Captains Cloak and Dagger, and another commander of a battalion that had yet to be deployed. Shaak Ti was already present, having come straight from the meeting. She looked up when Alana and Sylvan entered and gave them a slight head nod.