Always Prepare For The Unexpected

That afternoon after school, I went shopping with Mrs. Knight. It was actually great, but exhilarating at the same time. Every clothes I tried on she wanted to buy it. She kept saying things like:

"You look so lovely!"

"This is cute!"

"We definitely have to get this one!"

I eventually told her that she couldn't possibly think that I was going to allow her to get all these clothes for me. I mean, she barely knows me and she wanted to spend that much.

After persuading her, she gave in and I only bought a few item of clothing. She also bought shoes and any other things that she thought I would need. I didn't want to stop her anymore, because she was really having fun and I didn't want to disappoint her.

After we left the mall, we went home. Since she was home early, she told Linda that she didn't have to cook that evening. She decided to cook dinner and asked if I wanted to help. I gladly accepted. For the rest of the evening, Mrs. Knight and I cooked dinner together. It was actually fun. It reminded me of when I used to cook with my mother.

That night, I was laying on my bed, when my phone started to ring. I took it up from the bedside table and checked the caller ID. It was my stepfather. I thought about ignoring the call, then decided against it. I answered the call and put the phone to my ear, not saying anything.

"Kayla? Kayla, where the hell are you? You better come home this instant!" I heard Allan shouted through the phone.

"I'm not going back there. You're not going to use and abuse me anymore." I said, my voice hard with hatred.

"You ungrateful bitch. After all I've done for you, this is how you repay me?" He snapped angrily. "Your mother is turning in her grave at your behaviour."

How dare he talked about my mother? He had no right! He didn't care about her when she was alive and healthy and he didn't care about her when she was sick. All he cared about was himself. He only stayed with her for the sex.

I became so angry, that my voice rise with fury. "Excuse me? She is turning in her grave for what you are doing to me and don't you dare talk about my mother again, because you did not know her!" I shouted into the phone.

"You watch your tone of voice with me, young lady!" I could hear his heavy breathing through the phone. He was filled with rage. "You better come home this instant or you'll regret it!"

"Go to hell!" I shouted at him, then hang up the phone. I had it with him and his threats.

I put my phone back on the bedside table and closed my eyes. I didn't want to think about Allan anymore, so I tried to clear my mind. The next thing I know, I fell asleep.

I awoke up with a start and my heart was beating fast. I had another bad dream. A nightmare. I don't remember what it was about, but Allan was in it and I was scared and crying. I sighed, I can't believe I had another nightmare about Allan.

I looked on the alarm clock on the bedside table and saw that it was 1:00am. My throat felt dry, so I decided to go down to the kitchen to drink some water. I got off the bed and left the room. I padded through the hallway and down the stairs on my tiptoes, because I didn't want to wake anyone up.

I had just gotten my water and was about to take a sip, when I heard a sound behind me. I turned around sharply, almost dropping the glass from my hands. I looked and saw that it was Carson and I placed my hand over my heart.

"Carson! Why do you always sneak up behind me like that?" I whisper-yelled.

He just shrugged his shoulders and smirked, like it was nothing. Damn him!

"I heard you come downstairs and decided to see what was up." He explained.

"I just wanted a glass of water." I said, then my eyes widen. "Did I wake you?"

He shook his head. "I was already awake."

"Oh." Was all I said, before taking a sip of my water.

"So, what were you doing up?" He asked.

"Um...I just woke up and felt thirsty." I said. I didn't want to tell him about the call from my stepfather or my nightmare. I didn't want him to get angry and do something that he would regret.

"My mom had fun taking you shopping." He said after a while. "She couldn't stop talking about it."

"Yeah, she went crazy, but I had a great time too." I confessed.

He chuckled. "That's how my mom is." I could hear the adoration in his voice and I smiled.

I put the glass in the sink and then turned back to him. "Thanks for allowing me to stay here. I'm going to repay you one day."

"That won't be necessary." He said, brushing my offer aside.

"I know, but I want to. It's the least I could do." I said.

"Well, I won't take it." He said.

I sighed. "You're impossible!" I exclaimed.

"I'm impossible?" Carson asked as he stepped closer to me. "Well, you are stubborn."

"I am not!" I said childishly.

"Oh yes, you are." Carson said grinning at me. He was now directly in front of me. I didn't say anything. With him this close, my brain cease to function. I took a step back to create some space between us, but my back hit the wall behind me.

All of a sudden, Carson stopped talking and now he was just staring at me. For a second, I forgot where I was as I got lost in his ocean blue eyes. I started to get uncomfortable under his blank stare. I wish I knew what he was thinking, but his expression was unreadable. Was he thinking about kissing me?

Oh, how I wish he would.

Shocked at my own thoughts, I broke the awkward silence. "Good night, Carson." I said and started to move out of his way before my over thinking mind got the better of me and I do something very embarrassing.

Before I could move however, Carson put his hand on my arm to stop me. He was so close that I become breathless. I looked up at him confused and he just continued to look at me. His eyes then shifted to my lips and I felt my heartbeat picked up speed. He then brought his head closer to mine and my breath caught in my throat.

I stiffen with surprise the moment Carson's lips met mine. I didn't know what was happening, but the next thing I know he was kissing me. His kiss was soft as his lips moved urgently on mine. I was so shocked by what was happening, that I didn't respond for a while. Slowly, I melted into the kiss and kissed him back.

The sparks between us was so electrifying that I felt lightheaded. His left hand was beside my head on the wall and his other hand gripped my waist lightly. I lifted my right hand and rest it on his chest. His lips was so soft and alluring that I become lost in the kiss. The kiss was so passionate that I felt weak and my legs turned to jelly. Lord help me, if he wasn't holding me right now, I knew I would fall to the floor.

Carson suddenly broke the kiss. I opened my eyes slowly and saw him looking at me. I became so uncomfortable by his intense gaze that I blushed and cleared my throat. He then smiled brightly and stepped away from me. "Good night, Kitten."

He the left the kitchen, leaving me frazzled and dumbfounded. I couldn't even move or speak. I touched my lips that was still tingling from Carson's kiss. Did Carson really just kissed me?

However, what I was really troubled about was that I was disappointed that the kiss came to an end so soon. I wished that his kisses could have prolong forever.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Thanks much to everyone reading my story! 😘

I hope you liked this chapter.

Please vote and comment. If you haven't voted on every chapter as yet...please do. It makes me so happy.

I will try and update soon...

Stay weird!

Alecia