²⁴, HER FIREWHISKEY KISS

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter twenty-four; Her Firewhiskey Kiss
"
 I just don't. . . want to be that broken anymore. "

  REMUS LUPIN WAS growing increasingly annoyed at James's rapid leg-bouncing

  REMUS LUPIN WAS growing increasingly annoyed at James's rapid leg-bouncing. His hands were clasped in front of his lips, foot sending earthquakes across the Gryffindor Common Room.

  "Prongs—!"

  "He's nervous, Moony."

  "He's making me nervous!" Remus exclaimed to Sirius, "She's fine!"

  "Physically, I know she is," James mumbled from behind his hands, "It's the other part I'm worried about."

  "She's okay," Lily sighed, attempting to reassure James for the millionth time, "She said she'll be right back."

  "Can't we just go find her—?"

  "Remember what I said, James? She needs to do things on her own time."

  James groaned, opening his hands to cup his face entirely.

  The common room was bustling that night. Salem almost turned around as she opened the portrait, hanging onto the frame briefly before the Fat Lady encouraged her to step fully inside. 

  It was hard to force herself into it, be in the center of bustling people, especially when the boy who'd re-earthed Witch Trials snickered as she snuck past.

  "Sal!" James jumped from his seat, jerking back from Remus's hand reeling him in.

  "Hey," Salem greeted, twisting the rings on her fingers, "Hi."

  "What's wrong, what happened?"

  "You worry a lot," The redhead informed James.

  "Of course I do."

  Salem sighed, shaking her head and taking a seat beside Lily Evans. The latter gently rubbed Salem's shoulder— a sort of reassurance that was genuinely appreciated.

  "Someone called me Witch Trials," Salem sighed, "And I. . . dunno, I lost it. It's stupid, I know it's stupid, and Lils talked to me, and it's not even about the actual witch trials or what you lot did anymore. It's just a huge reminder of me. . . getting hurt. Getting cold and closed off. I don't want to be that anymore. Not that I've. . . gotten too far away from it. I always have just one more thing to fix. So maybe I'll never be totally fixed, I just don't. . . want to be that broken anymore."

  "Who called you Witch Trials?"

  "It's not important, Potter," The girl spoke quietly, "They don't matter."

  "You're right," He nodded, "But you do."

  And then, unexpectedly, James Potter stood on the velvet sofa, making the cushion dip and send Sirius and Remus closer to his legs.