Chapter 2

Calvin's POV

I quickly finished the battle against the rogues with Alpha Jaxson Steele and we saved Lilly, their family is happily back together.

Helping them made me happy, but it just reminds me how I'm 24 and have no mate to protect or save. Jaxson found his mate and he's only 19. You can start finding your mate at 16, I've been waiting for over 8 years.

It feels like a never ending cycle of sadness and despair. My heart feels empty. I need my other half to make me feel whole. I don't know when I'm ever going to find them.

When I get home, I shower to rid myself of the nasty rogue scent. I use the time that I'm in the shower to daydream about my mate. What will she be like? Will she be tall or short? What will her personality be like? I don't have a preference as long as I have someone to love.

After long warm shower, I get dressed in casual clothes since I'm going to shift and go on patrol soon. As Alpha, I have a lot of paperwork to do but I also have to patrol the borders. I like to do daily check ins with my patrol members to make sure no one slips up.

My Beta, Kevin, has taken it upon himself to arrange the entire patrol schedule. He's a bit of an over achiever but he is also such a fun guy.

I meet up with Kevin to run around the border and try to detect rogues. Kevin trots ahead of me and goofs around, skipping and dancing.

We do our daily patrol and smell a new scent in our town, a house near the woods. We head back home to get ready to check it out.

"Calvin, who has moved into that house? No one has lived there for years," Kevin asks once we are back to the pack house and getting ready to pay them a visit.

I look at him like he's stupid. "How should I know who moved in? I know as much as you do," state in a 'duh' tone. Luckily, Kevin is used to my bad attitude and just laughs it off.

We get dressed and bring the scary Layton with us. Layton is my Gamma, and he's very scary. You'd expect him to be friendly because he gets along well with the pack, but he's a fan of torturing the evil rogues. He could kill you with one look.

All three of us head over to the house, wondering who has moved into our small town.