Visions of Glory

Percival

I stood in front of the mirror as I glanced over my appearance for at least the 6th time that day.

"This is it," I whispered softly to myself, "this is the day you finally tell Annette how you really feel." My gaze flickered to my hair now. It fell loosely to my ears and despite myself I found myself ruffling it in some feeble attempt to mimic Ridley's natural curls. It didn't work...obviously. I shook my head at my reflection now. What the hell was I doing?

I took a deep breath, attempting to keep my hands from trembling as I finally left my bedroom, making my way through the hallway. It had taken me all night to build up the courage to finally go and see her so I assumed she was probably in her room. Ridley and I had been friends with her ever since we were children and had often stopped by for innocent late night visits together so I was sure coming now wouldn't be too intrusive. I made my way down the hall, my nerves twisting my stomach to knots.

There were two guards stationed outside her door as custom. As I approached, I recognized them as Oliver and Eliza.

I looked to them now, trying to disguise how much I felt like throwing up. "Hello," I mumbled nervously. "I was just wondering if I could request a quick audience with the princess?"

Oliver and Eliza exchanged a nervous glance.

"I don't think that's a good idea..." Oliver said slowly.

I blinked, "why not?"

Eliza fidgeted uncomfortably. "Percy...I'm not exactly sure how to break this to you but..."

Oliver looked to Eliza now. "Oh don't tell him, he's going to be so upset."

"He's going to find out eventually, isn't he?" Eliza said softly, crossing her arms.

"Find out what?" I asked, my blood turning to ice water.

Oliver sighed heavily. "She's...already entertaining a guest at the moment."

"A male one," Eliza added.

My eyes widened in a slightly confused panic. "How is that possible? The only men she'd ever let in would be me, Stefan or Ridley."

This caused yet another nervous glance between the two.

"W-What is it....?" I stammered, feeling like I was about to vomit.

Oliver sighed heavily. "That's the thing...Ridley's the one in there. And judging by the way he was talking to the princess I have a feeling he might have...similar intentions to you."

The shock hit me first, then the disbelief. "No..." I whispered hoarsely. "There's no way. Ridley isn't like that. He doesn't have feelings for the princess romantically. In fact, I doubt he could ever develop romantic feelings for anyone. All he cares about is being a knight. I'm sorry but I just can't believe you. It's not plausible."

Oliver and Eliza exchanged yet another glance before Oliver suddenly lowered his voice. "Okay, listen...I know we shouldn't do this but...Percy you need to see this. Chasing someone you can never have, it's just not fair to you." And with those words Oliver opened the door a crack.

I peered into the room and what I saw inside made my heart feel like it was about to leap into my throat.

Everything was exactly as they had said.

There on the bed was Ridley. He sat beside Annette, a gentle smile on his face. I had never seen Ridley make an expression like that. They were talking in hushed voices. My breathing quickened, my heart pounding in my ears. This was probably just some kind of misunderstanding. Ridley and I had just spoken this morning. Maybe he'd decided to tell Annette she should be with me. That had to be it! He was my best friend, of course he wouldn't have just left things like they were this morning. He knew I loved Annette and he was going to finally help me be with her-