36. Double trouble

Jenn's mom pulled up to the Byers-Hopper residence and beeped twice.

Jamie grabbed the purse Joyce gifted to her for her birthday and headed towards the door.

"Bye, mom!", Jamie shouted as Joyce was in the laundry room.

"Bye, dad", she said quickly as she attempted to slip past him and out the front door.

"Hold it!", he said as he placed his hand on the knob.

Jamie looked up at him confusingly as she stood there.

"What're you wearing under all that?", he asked as he gestured towards Jamie's coat.

Jamie unzipped her coat to reveal her wearing a modest, floral shirt and a pair of blue jeans.

"Hmph", Hopper replied in satisfaction as he turned the knob and opened the door.

"Jesus, dad. It's a high school party not a night club", Jamie joked as she zipped her coat up and ducked under his arm that rested on the door frame.

Hopper held out a hand and waved at Jenn's mother as Joyce appeared in the doorway and waved.

"Remember what I told you!", he shouted as she got in the car.

"Love you too, dad!", she shouted back and gave a wave to Joyce.

"I didn't know your dad was the chief? Well... I guess that does make sense because I'm pretty sure he's the only other Hopper in Hawkins."

"Yeah... it's not something I was trying to broadcast. It's already tough making decent friends here as it is", Jamie whispered awkwardly.

"Here? Where are you from?"

"I used to live with my mom in New York, but... now I live here with my dad."

"So... Your dad and Mrs. Byers are...?"

"Yup. That's my step mom."

An audible sigh was heard from the front seat causing Jamie and Jenn to look at Jenn's mom. Jenn's mom looked in her rearview mirror at the pair staring at her.

"What? A woman can only dream", she said with a laugh.

Jamie and Jenn both looked at each other and burst into laughter as Jamie stuck her finger on her tongue as if she were going to puke at the thought of someone having a crush on her dad.

"Alright, alright. Settle down, girls", her mom continued as she turned the corner and pulled up to a house with loud music coming from inside.

"You girls be safe. Let me know when you're about ready", she said before pulling off as the pair went up the stairs.

Jenn took her hair out of a high bun and let it hang down to her mid back. Jamie watched as she pulled off the oversized hoodie to reveal a tight fitting crop top with low cut jeans.

As the two entered the house, they were both greeted by two drunk kids who decided to have a make out session behind the door.

"Where's Greg?", Jamie asked.

"Well, if this party is anything like the last one, I'm pretty sure he's upstairs in the game room."

Jamie started to follow Jenn upstairs, but she decided to grab a bottle of water from the kitchen first. As she walked through the crowd of underaged drinkers, she found the kitchen along with a gigantic punch bowl filled with red liquid.

She invited herself to look in the cooler, and amongst the brown beer bottles and cans, she found a decently cold bottle of water. She leaned against the counter and looked out the window at the dark nothingness surrounded by their dimly lit pool.