Steve Rogers X Reader - Everybody Talks

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Everybody Talks' by Neon Trees. I hope you all enjoy it.

A smile painted Nat's lips as she eagerly watched you from the other end of the sofa. You'd been sitting like that for what felt like ages, with her waiting as patiently as she could manage for your resolve to break and your most recent secret to come spilling out. She did this a lot. It was her job to know when you were lying, and when she'd turned up in your room to find you all flustered, she had known there was something juicy going on for her to find out about. 

"Are you just going to sit here until I give in?" you murmured, lifting your mug to your lips in an attempt to put off the inevitable.

Nat shrugged slightly, her smile growing as she realised just how close you were to giving in. "I don't have plans for the rest of the day," she uttered, an eyebrow lifting as if to dare you into keeping quiet for that long.

A small sigh escaped you as you shifted positions on the sofa, turning yourself to face her fully and running your tongue over your teeth. "You have to promise to keep it to yourself," you started, holding your pinky out towards her. 

She quickly linked her digit with yours, and released a short chuckle. "This better be the best gossip I've ever heard, or I'll be disappointed by all your prefacing," she teased, watching as you sent her a quick warning glare.

You opened your mouth to speak, but the words got stuck, and you released a shaking breath. "I slept with Steve," you finally managed to force out, your voice breaking as the words escaped into the room. Nat's eyes widened as she stared at you, pure gleeful shock etched onto her face.

"No fucking way," she yelped, leaning forward to look for any evidence of a lie on your features. "You fucked Steve-"

"Don't be so crass," you cried out, glaring in her direction. "And keep your voice down; I don't want the others knowing."

There was a moment of silence as she continued to stare at you. "When did this happen?"

You shrugged, before realising that it wouldn't be enough of an answer for Nat. She would never admit it out loud, but she lived for gossip, and this was one of the most interesting things she had ever heard. "After Tony's Christmas party."

"It's been a month? How didn't I know this?"

"It wasn't a big deal," you murmured, giving another quick shrug. "We slept together once, and then last night he came and knocked on my door and it happened again-"

"You slept with him again?" Nat cried out, her mouth hanging open in a ghastly fashion.

You slapped at her leg, raising your eyebrows. "Keep it down, Nat." There was another moment of quiet as you leant back against the arm of the sofa, sighing. "I think I really like him," you uttered, watching as her eyes widened again.

"Never thought I'd see the day you seriously liked a guy," she started, smile returning to her lips. "Does he like you?"

"I don't know. We never talked about it; it was just sex."

Nat's lips pursed as she shifted on the spot, making herself more comfortable. "Well, what was the sex like?"

"Nat-"

"I just mean, was it a quick fuck to get you both off or was it, like, love-making?" she uttered, watching as your cheeks started to tint red.

"It was..." you paused for a moment, shaking your head. "It was sweet."

Nat's lips twitched at that. "I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like he likes you."

"God," you managed to spit out, running your hands over your face to calm yourself. "Are you sure?" Nat nodded and a small smile blossomed on your lips.

"So," she uttered, leaning forward to draw you deeper into the conversation. "What's his dick like?"

You grabbed the pillow from behind you and launched it at her head as she dissolved into a fit of giggles.

*Time Skip*

"Hey, Y/N, can I have a word?" You glanced up from your work to find Steve standing in front of you looking every inch the perfect man. God, it's like he chose his clothes specifically to drive you insane.

"Yeah," you uttered, shifting to your feet and following him out of the communal area of the Avenger's Facility. The halls weren't the most private place in the world, but they were practically empty at this time of the day and when Steve turned to look down at you, you almost didn't care that people could see you. 

He looked a little lost as he leant back against the wall, brain searching for the right words to say. "Why does Tony keep asking me about us?" 

Your brow furrowed, your tongue darting out to wet your lips. "What about us?"

"About whether we're being safe."

Your eyes widened as you stared up at him. "I didn't tell him anything, I promise," you started softly. "I know what he's like; I-"

"It's okay," Steve interrupted, hands reaching out to touch the tops of your arms ever so lightly. "Maybe F.R.I.D.A.Y told him something," he added, and you nodded as you continued to think.

In that moment, it was like everything had clicked into place. "Nat might've told him," you murmured. "I'm really sorry; she'd been bugging me all day and I ended up giving in. She promised me she wouldn't tell." You took a shaky breath, waiting for him to be all disappointed and snarky like every other man you had ever known, but nothing came.

"You don't have to apologise, Y/N." You looked up at him in confusion, brow furrowed so perfectly that it made Steve have to fight back a smile. "I told Bucky. I didn't even think about it."

"So... we're okay?"

Steve nodded, his smile finally breaking through. "I hope we'll be more than okay." There was a moment of silence as you attempted to process his words, the sentence running through your head on a loop. "Can I take you out for dinner some time?"

"I'd like that," you told him softly, leaning up to place a kiss on his cheek. You paused for a moment, considering your next words carefully. "And how about a coffee now? I'm due a break from work."

The smile that Steve sent in your direction was sweet and perfect, and left your heart stuttering in your chest. "That sounds great."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x