Chapter 14: Trouble

Although the situation between Markus and Connor had improved, it was still difficult for you to be around both of them at once. You sensed their distrust towards each other. You did not know what they could have possibly gone through in the past, but somehow, you felt it was your responsibility to make things right. Even if that would be somewhat difficult.

As you tried to focus on your school work, your mind wandered over possibilities of how to help the two boys. Bringing them together didn't seem to be solving anything. And they seemed reluctant to discuss their differences. The reason why they disliked each other was unknown to you. But surely you could make things better somehow.

The first thing you would need to do would be to research. And the first person you could think of to ask, was Kara.

After you spent lunch with Kara and Connor the previous day, you were surprised when he wasn't there the following day, as you joined Kara at her table. She waved excitedly at you, and Luther beside her gave you a warm smile.

"No Connor today?" Kara asked, looking around you.

"Yeah, he wasn't in class, and I couldn't find him afterwards."

"He must be skipping again," Kara mused, a slight pout on her face. "Honestly, he never gets in trouble for that."

"Only in Mr Anderson's class." You giggled, then looked around. Connor, or Markus, were no where in sight. The other's in the cafeteria were eating, quietly talking amongst themselves. You leaned closer to Kara. "Kara, I need your advice."

"Uh oh, girl advice?!" She glanced at Luther. "Looks like you'll need to go Luther."

"No, he can stay." You laughed, and Luther smiled.

"Don't worry. Luther can keep a secret," Kara continued, leaning closer to you. "Is this about Connor, or Markus?" You felt your face immediately turn red.

"H-How did you know?!"

"Ohh I can just tell," Kara replied, a smirk on her face. Luther continued to quietly eat a sandwich, seemingly uninterested in the conversation.

"It's about both of them actually," You told her, whispering, "It's about their relationship."

Luther suddenly choked on his sandwich. He coughed a few times, trying to clear his throat. Kara glanced at him,  then back at you, a question in her eyes.

"I meant that they can't stop arguing every time they're around each other," You explained, your face flushing even more. "It's a serious problem!!"

Luther finally calmed down, and covered his mouth to try and hide his laughter.

"They've been like that ever since they first came to this school," Kara replied, "I think they met in their first year."

"Really?" You leaned closer, wondering what Connor and Markus must have been like as freshmen.

"Yeah... Markus was very popular. He was well-known throughout the school. He might not look like it, but he's quite creative. His art and piano skills made him interesting." Kara thought for a moment, before continuing, "He was less studious than he is now. Much more easier going, and welcoming to others. He used to have girls lining up to get his attention."

"What about Connor?"

Kara hesitated, seemingly unsure of what to say. "I've known Connor for almost all my life. We went to the same elementary school together. He was always... well..." She glanced at Luther.

"On the outside, he seemed very stoic, almost robotic," Luther explained, "He was really just shy and awkward. But no one seemed to notice that."

"He had an very intelligent aura," Kara interjected. "I think he used to be that way because as a child, he lived with his step-mother."