16

"  opportunity "

Din woke from his slumber, on his side he was hugging Lana close to his body

Din woke from his slumber, on his side he was hugging Lana close to his body. Her back leaned against his chest, he felt her slightly stir in her sleep into him. Lana was in a deep sleep letting him easily slip his arm from out from under her.

It had been a couple weeks since the job with Ran. Ever since that night they haven't slept without each other. Whenever the child would fall asleep, the two would find themselves back on the tiny cot, cuddled into each other hoping to get a bit of shuteye before the baby woke.

Even when Din wasn't tired, he would have no complaints holding Lana until she was well asleep. Sometimes he would stay up and listen to her soft snores. Other times when he would fall asleep if he was truly exhausted, but that didn't happen as often as you'd think. The child would promptly wake him up when he was hungry, but the child never tried to disturb Lana's sleep.

When Mando turned his body slightly to peak over his shoulder, he saw the child standing before them with his little head turned to the side with his big ears perked up. Mando gently pushed himself off the cot and scooped up the little one, bringing him up to the pit.

Mando sets himself in the pilot chair placing the little one on his lap. He shifts the ship out of autopilot to use the hand controls trying to find another place for them to fuel up again. Just as he does, a familiar voice pops up dragging his head up to face it.

He's taken back by Greef Karga's voice. "My friend, if you are receiving this transmission, that means you are alive. You might be surprised to hear there but I am alive too."

Mando remembers back to when he shot Greef Karga over the child a couple weeks back.

How is he alive? What does he want from me now?

"I guess we can call it even. A lot has happened since we last saw each other. The man who hired you is still here, and his ranks of ex-Imperial guards have grown." As Greef Karga continues, Din hears the quiet sleepy steps of Lana coming into the pit.

She groggily steps to his side listening to the rest of the message. "They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which has impeded the livelihood of the Guild. We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out. If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while. You have been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize."

Lana tilts her head slightly as the man continues, she waits until she hears all of what the man has to say before asking her burning questions.

"So, here is my proposition. Return to Nevarro. Bring the child as bait. I will arrange an exchange and provide loyal Guild members as protection. Once we get near the client, you kill him and we both get what we want. If you succeed, you keep the child and I will have your name cleared with the Guild, for a man of honor should not be forced to live in exile. I await your arrival with optimism." With that, Greef Karaga ended the message, leaving silence to fill the air.