9 ➳ i don't want to forget

This chapter is dedicated to jenzieforlife101 & brysonheart xoxo

KENZIE ZIEGLER

"I promise you, Mackenzie," Maddie pleaded with me, blowing hair out of her face and rolling her eyes. "This guy is different."

My heart sank a little further in my chest and I bit my lip in an attempt not to cry. "How so?" I questioned, voice a little wobbly. If Maddie noticed, she didn't say anything.

She sat down at the bar stool opposite me and stared me right in the eyes. My own flickered away and I pretended to be immensely interested in the layout of Maddie's living room.

"He's a lot like Johnny, but not at all the same, you know? He's older, and more mature. And I've told him so much  about you. Please. You'd be perfect together. Just forget about the old Johnny, and please, give this guy a chance," She wheedled.

I swallowed, hard, and replied in a small voice. "I... don't want to forget."

˚✧₊⁎༄

I look myself up and down in the mirror, eyes wide and frankly, a little shocked. I look dainty, petite, elegant. The lavender dress that hugs my figure in all the right places somehow contrasts absolutely perfectly with my peach eye shadow. My heels lace up to my ankle and the winged eyeliner makes me look older. Much, much older. I turn to my Cousin Tonya with tears in my eyes.

"Thank you." I manage to get out without crying like a baby.

"Honey!" She exclaims, laughing and embracing me in a hug. I hold on tight to her. "Don't cry, not on your prom night, and not when I've worked so hard on your makeup!"

I giggle into her shoulder, sniffing. "How can I not cry, you made me all beautiful!"

"You're always beautiful, love. I just made the world more aware, that's all."

I smile slowly. "Do you think J will like it?"

"If he doesn't, I have some questions for him." She sasses, and we step apart, my heels clicking on the hardwood floor as I laugh.

"Spoiler alert." A deep voice came from behind us. "He does. He really, really does."

Shivers ran up my spine as Johnny spoke the last few words in my ear. I turned my head around to look at him, eyes alight, and he caged me in a hug from behind. "You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met. Forever and always." He said softly.

He kissed me on the lips and I let my eyes flutter shut with complete bliss.

˚₊⁎

"So what is the purpose of this again?" I huffed, wrapping myself up in duvets and bundling up a set of fairy lights to take outside.

"Maybe you'll see if you hurry up," Johnny teases, looking back at me with a mischievous smile.

"Well excuse me for wanting to fall asleep in your arms only to be woken up by you pronouncing you had a great idea!" I huff, pulling the blankets round my shoulders so they don't fall off and following him out the door.

"Oh, I just love it when we have such caring conversations," He mocks my cranky tone with one that is light and airy, grinning ear to ear as he opens the back door for me.