new country new world

When I was 7 years old, my family had to move to America. My father was given a new job opportunity for the company he worked at; halfway across the world. Of course, I was still young, but old enough to understand the reason why we had to leave Korea. I was excited to be going to a new place with new experiences, but I was a little upset about leaving my best friend Minjee behind. Because I was only 7 and I didn't have a choice, I decided that I would visit her and facetime her and then I felt better about it.

On June 24 of that year, I said goodbye to Korea and my friends. When I first set my eyes on America, I really was in love. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, with it's pretty mountains and gorgeous bodies of water. But of all the beautiful places to live, my parents chose to move into a small house in Chicago, promising me an upgrade in a couple years once they racked up enough money.

Luckily for me, there was kids my age that lived on my new street. A girl named Brooke on my left two houses down and a boy named Yeosang was right next to me on my right. Brooke and Yeosang were already close friends, so I was worried they wouldn't want to include me. But as soon as they heard about my moving in next door, they dropped everything and came to greet me. The day after I moved in, there was a knock on our front door. Back then I was very shy, so I hid behind my mother as she opened the door.

Standing on the front porch with a little bouquet of daisies was a boy with fluffy brown hair who's big brown eyes widened when they locked with my chocolate brown hues. His face was flushed a baby pink and his eyes nervously darted around, scared to meet mine again. After a few awkward seconds, he asked me very quietly,

"Will you play with me?"

I smiled shyly and gave a small nod. But behind my shy exterior, I was ecstatic. No more worrying about not being included. I looked up at my mother for permission and she nodded her head at me and smiled. I grinned and dashed out the door and down the front steps to catch up with the boy who was waiting on the sidewalk with a cute little happy grin. He handed me a mini bouquet of daisies, kissed my hand, and promised me that one day when we were older he would marry me. I doubted he would keep that promise or even remember it, but I would remember this moment forever. So I laughed and threw my arms around him as if I'd known him for longer than 5 minutes, taking him by surprise and turning his face red while he smiled from ear to ear.

He walked me to his house, talking a mile a minute while I tried to stop smiling. We met up with Brooke, who was sitting on his front porch. She looked up as soon as she heard Yeosang's voice and I remember thinking

'Wow, this girl has really pretty eyes'.

She had these bright green eyes that looked like emeralds in the sunlight. She stood up and casually walked down the steps in her baby blue sundress that went so well with her tanned skin. Although she was 7, she was gorgeous, and I remember feeling like I was looking at a real-life model.

"Hi there! You must be the new girl on the street. I'm Brooklyn, but everyone calls me Brooke." She tossed her silky black curls over her shoulder out of obvious habit.

'Gosh, everything about her is perfect' I shook myself out of my thoughts.

"Nice to meet you, Brooke. I'm Sena." I gave her a small smile.

"Oooook can we please go get snacks now? My mom made pigs-in-a-blankey!" Yeosang whined.

'Pigs in a blankey?'

"Wha-" I started.

"C'mon Sena!" Yeosang shouted.

I ran after them into the house. When I walked in with Yeosang, Brooke was sitting on a bar stool by the counter talking to Yeosang's mom. I couldn't help but notice how those emerald eyes danced when she turned to look at Yeosang.

'Oh, she likes him.'

I smiled looking at this scene. But I got to thinking, this might be a problem in the future, and boy was I right.