Chapter 6: Betrayal

A boot on my shoulder shakes me awake. It's morning, and Rahlan's standing over me. The freezing air didn't allow me much rest. I can't get up on my own with my arms tied wrist to elbow, but he's looking at me expectantly.

"Good morning?" I say from my place on the ground.

His rough hands flip me upright and release my wrists. "You have a minute to stretch."

I spread my arms and wave them in a circle around me. It feels great to have them free again. I loosen the rope around my midriff so it's more comfortable.

I reach for an apple in the bag, but he slaps my hand away.

"I just wanted breakfast," I mumble, rubbing my sore hand.

"Times up." He picks up the rope. I shoot up and back away as he steps closer.

"Don't tie me yet. I won't fight. Please."

He grabs my shoulder and yanks me into his stone chest, then spins me around and pulls my arms behind my back. "You do not decide when you are bound."

"That's why I'm asking. Please let me eat first. It makes no difference to you, but it means a lot to me."

His breath tickles the back of my neck as he mulls it over.

He releases my arms, and I stumble forward.

"Don't do anything you'll regret," he warns.

I hug my middle and peer back at the bag. Am I allowed to take from it now?

He answers my question by handing me two apples and the water skin. I waste no time munching them down. It's a welcome change to eating out of his hand.

I gulp down the water, but he yanks it away. "We're far from a river," he says.

He prowls behind me and rests his heavy hands on my shoulders, making me flinch. He leans in takes in a deep breath, and a chill runs down my spine. He's sniffing his food.

His hands snap to my sides, making me yelp. "Something got you on edge?" he teases.

"Gee," I begin, "I wonder what it could-"

His fangs pierce my neck, making me cut myself off with a squeak.

He's holding my chest, but this is the first time he's drunk from me with my arms free. I could fight back, but I know better. It'll net me nothing but a few minutes of struggling and extra pain.

He finishes his meal and immediately binds my arms again. I was hoping that my obedience would have earned me some trust, but I suppose not.

"I know I can be rather intimidating, but are these ropes really necessary?" I ask.

"Think of it like leashing an untrained dog," he says. "'Tis just a pain to have to chase them down." He pulls the rope tight on the final word, making me wince.

"I'm not a dog."

"You're right, it doesn't seem very appropriate. Dogs don't whine as much as you."

The bag is tied to my back, and the rope around my waist forces me to follow. We head straight for the trade post, and the uneasy feeling in my stomach grows. I hope he keeps his word.

* * * * * * * *

We pass through a gap between the log walls that acts as a gate. They protect four wooden houses, a tavern and a stable. I recognize the architecture. This is a human settlement, well it was a human settlement. Now it's crawling with vampires. They're pale, and every one of them is a good head and half taller than me. They're all men – soldiers.