21: Get Up - Part 1

Art: Artist Not Found

Team Avatar had moved into the Fire Lord's former house within one evening. Kida had listened to directions and moved when she was told, but she continued to stay silent and foggy-eyed.

She wasn't the only one. Sokka was also having difficulty staying aware of his surroundings. He tried. But he didn't feel like he was in his own body; it was more like he was just watching himself. He was so numb.

All he could think about was that image: his mother lying limp on the floor, her throat slit, blood splattering on the walls; her blood staining their home, and then his big sister – his fearless sister – running in only to find this scene.

It made sense now, the silence. Because she wasn't fearless, it was the opposite, actually. She was scared. She was always scared. And what she was afraid of had happened. She lost someone once, and now she had lost someone again... and again... and again. It wasn't only about Takumi; he just happened to be the final straw.

The first time this happened, Kida had been scared of her siblings imagining what she had seen, and the only way to keep them from it was to bottle it up. Sokka understood. He had the opposite reaction, however.

Instead of growing catatonic like his sister, this realization had become the only reason he was still walking around. He couldn't leave Katara alone – to be afraid. He had to keep moving forward.

"Zuko, where are you going?" His sister's words brought Sokka to sudden alertness that sent his hand flying towards the hilt of his covered sword.

It took a moment for him to realize the interaction in front of him was nonthreatening. His movements hadn't gone unnoticed, however. Both Zuko and Katara had gone rigid as they eyed his hand. Sokka blinked rapidly before slowly releasing his grip. "Sorry," he muttered.

His eyes left the pair to take in his surroundings. He could barely remember why he was in the kitchen. Had someone called him? Was he hungry? He hadn't been very hungry lately.

"I, um," Zuko began to speak, eyes lingering on Sokka before returning to the waterbender, "I was going to check on Kida."

Sokka's eyes snapped to the prince, and Katara straightened instantly.

Zuko noticed the sudden change but couldn't tell what it meant. "If that's... If that's okay with you, I mean."

"Yes!" Katara exclaimed wholeheartedly, eyes bright as a grin stretched her mouth. "Of course, ye-"

"No," Sokka interrupted.

Both of their attention went to the boy. Katara's joy snapped into anger. "What!"

"No," Sokka repeated. "Don't bother her."

"I know you've been thinking about this as much as I have. Zuko is good for her. He can help-"