26: Monster

Art: Shiro Chugo by Noah Bradley

It was still exceptionally early when we arrived at the camp, so we decided to get another hour or so of rest. My jitters were still eating at my stomach, which made it difficult to actually fall asleep. This time I didn't have Zuko to help. He had gone to see Iroh, and I wasn't going to disturb that.

However, I wasn't the only one having trouble. "Kida," a voice whispered beside me. "Kida!"

Reluctant, I opened one eye to see it was Suki who hovered above me. "Hm?"

"I can't sleep," she admitted, her voice still breathy but too loud to be considered a whisper. "Wanna go do some training?"

I forced my other eye open to look around us. The white-tented camp glowed softly as the lazy sun yawned awake over the horizon. Some White Lotus members were awake and scuttling around the base – trying to keep busy from the looks of it – but it seemed as though it would be a while before everyone else got up. That meant I would have to lay here for a while, trying not to think about what was about to happen.

"Yeah, okay," I agreed. I pushed myself up from my bison fur bed, taking her hand as she helped me slide off silently.

"I don't want to wake anyone. Where do you want to go?" I questioned as I looked around for my bow and quiver.

"I asked Master Piandao about that," Suki assured. She picked up something from our bags but stuffed it away before I saw what it was, "He says there's a small clearing not too far from here that they've been using to warm up in."

I gave a nod and tossed my quiver over my shoulder before gesturing forward. "Lead the way."

She picked up her straight-bladed sword in one hand with our bag of weapons slung over her opposite shoulder before jogging up ahead of me. "Some of the White Lotus members wanted to watch, if that's okay with you," she said as we started to make our way to the clearing.

My shoulders shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

I swear I saw a small smirk pull up at the corner of her mouth from ahead of me.

We soon arrived at the glade, and there we found three White Lotus members I didn't recognize, along with two that I did – Pakku and Jeong Jeong.

They stood on the very edge of the small pasture, standing by the trees as if hoping to be discounted as mere shadows. The area didn't seem great for fighting grounds. A small stream cut right down the middle of it, snaking through the grass and dampening the soil nearby. Nonetheless, it was blocked off by thick trees, allowing much-needed privacy from wandering eyes. It was probably the best they could find – second to where they actually set up camp.

Pakku, with Jeong Jeong at his side, left the fringe of the meadow to meet up with us as we entered. "I see you found your way easy enough," Pakku spoke to Suki.