Chapter Forty-one

Benjamin arrived at his destination. He leaped from the carriage eager to get inside. Wondering if the wait would be finally over. He approached the man behind the counter and spoke in his native tongue of Malayalam, one of the many benefits of being ex-military and well-traveled.

"I am here looking for a guest of yours. Lord Aaron Fitton?"

"I am sorry, sir but he and his family checked out weeks ago."

Benjamin shook his head, thinking his exhaustion must have gotten the better of him. Obviously, he misheard. "Did you say... family?"

"Yes, sir. Lord and Lady Fitton were traveling with their son. Quite a handsome family, they only rented a room for one night, however."

"One night? Here?" Benjamin felt slightly dazed. "In one room?"

The man's brows furrowed with confusion at this last question. "Yes, sir."

"I see. Did they happen to mention where they were traveling to?"

Benjamin could tell he needed to reign in his emotions because he was losing the man's trust fast, he could see the barriers wanting to erect and shut him out of gleaning any more information.

"My apologies, I am an emissary sent from the Queen of England." Benjamin showed him the letter with the Queen's seal. The same seal the gentleman remembered from the letter that was delivered from the port for Lord Fitton.

"I am weary from my travels and my impression was that Lord Fitton traveled alone or perhaps with a valet, not his family. I was requested to retrieve him and bring him home."

The man hesitated only a moment before opening up again. "They ordered a carriage to take them to the Ayurveda Center just up the coast."

Benjamin smiled genuinely at the man before him and the man looked flabbergasted at the change in Benjamin's appearance.

"Thank you!" Benjamin said elated, "It has been a very long journey and I am happy to know I may be at the end of it."

"It will take some time to reach the Center. Are you certain you wouldn't wish to stay the night an set off early in the morning?"

"Quite certain, but I would appreciate you holding two rooms for me. Benjamin gave more than the appropriate funds to cover the reservation."

"As you wish and the reservation will be under what name?"

"Benjamin McAllister," Benjamin provided. "How do I hail another carriage to take me to the Center?"

"Let me do it for you," the man said and immediately left to procure his transportation.

Benjamin could not believe he may now just be hours away but again he was left with another quandary, one he planned to get to bottom of when he met up with Clara. Why would she choose to travel as Lord Fitton's wife? Share his room?

The ugly feeling of jealousy wanted to take him down a road he did not wish to travel. Yet the thought of another man holding her, kissing her, touching her in any way made his blood boil and body tense in anticipation of a fight. And he intended to fight for her. There was no way he would leave Fort Kochi without her.

______________________________________

Still having trouble sleeping Clara joined Sturgis for his treatments. This would be his last week to receive them. He had over this time gained nearly sixty percent of his vision. It was a miracle.

Clara recalled the day they unwrapped the bandage from around Sturgis' eyes after his first Tharpanam and she watched as those eyes filled with tears.