Chapter Forty-Three: A Pool of Red

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word."
― George R.R. Martin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stumble out of the vision in fiery pain.

I was screaming. I couldn't stop.

I fall to the floor, stumbling back.

"Valentine!!!" My grandmother screeches and I shake my head. I did not want to talk to her.

I dry heaved, trying to get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach. It just stuck there. Like someone was trying to increase my inner torment.

The scars on my back were in searing agony, and I screamed again.

"My child. I am truly sorry." Abaddon says in a hush, his own voice cracking in pain. "What do you wish me to do." He begs me.

"G-get m-me out of here." I sob out loud, and Abaddon nods, engulfing us in his magic.

"Valentine!! Sweetie, listen to me!! What did you see!?" She begs me to answer.

I don't.

Instead, I'm crawling away, my whole body falling outside the portrait in a weak aching heap. I was crying, hysteric shrieks exiting my lips. My hands clutched my stomach, hurling myself into as tight as a ball as I could.

As if the friction would take away the burning ache I was feeling.

"You need to stand Valentine," Abaddon whispers gently. I do as he says, a mindless drone. I stumble to my feet, and I haul myself towards the nearest bathroom.

I collapse to the floor, silencing the room with a wave of my hand, and I let out a bloodcurdling scream.

The sinks around me explode.

It was a primal scream. A scream of years and years of pain and torture bottled up into one deafening shriek of rage.

The pain takes over a portion of my brain, and I can't think about anything else.