Verbal promise.

(I wanted to post this last night, but I was extremely tired. Anyway, enjoy!)

---(Y/n)'s Pov---

"Hey." A voice echoed.

I tried to keep my eyes closed, but the voice only became more persistent in trying to gain my attention."(Y/n)."

Again with that voice... Why did it seem so familiar? The vocals from the tone were extremely similar to earlier when Nightmare-

My eyes immediately shot open upon remembering the conflict from earlier. How could I of fallen asleep after something like that? I rubbed my eyes tiredly before looking up to come face to face with a shadowy creature that was in the shape of... a skeleton? His single cyan eye stared at me with unwavering interest. "Well, good evening."

I looked around for my sketchbook so that I could make a reply, but instead... I found that the grass beneath me was dead, the sky was a deep red, my book and bag were nowhere in sight... however, the tree of feelings stood behind me, still alive and untouched. Since I couldn't respond through writing, I decided to offer a simple wave.

"You aren't... afraid?" It asked with that same nightmarish voice. Towards his inquiry that seemed to be more like a statement, I tilted my head. I was never easily terrified... Not after my past that is. My childhood that was filled with delusional monsters and fantasy were set far behind me.

Due to the fact that he seemed to be waiting for a response, I shook my head as if to say 'no'. The shadowy skeleton then seemed to gain more form and take on an inky appearance. 

"No. That is definitely unusual.  Anyway, I should introduce myself. I am Nightmare... Well, the less naive version of him at least. I suppose that you can call me the evil that lurks inside of his soul?" while saying this, he motioned to himself as if to demonstrate what he was talking about. I took this time to further take in his structure. He didn't seem much different from the Nightmare I knew... Other than the inky substance that coated his body. He kept his arms crossed while staring at into my (E/c) eyes as if he was judging me...

He seemed to be unsure with how he introduced himself... was he maybe nervous? Regardless, I didn't really have it in me to speak. I had already did that earlier, and received poor results due to being somewhat socially inexperienced. 

I offered another nod towards his explanation before deciding to lay down on the grass with a sigh of content. I felt at ease, as if I was... "You're sleeping... And currently, in a nightmare."

huh... A nightmare? It didn't feel like I was suffering from terror or anything of the sort... However, a nightmare could often vary in their level of horror based off of how someone perceives fear. 

Nightmare's face seemed to be suddenly unreadable, as if he was deep in thought. I was about to try and ask something... but I didn't have my book to write in. So instead of using my book, I tried to do something a little different.

Moving my hands in a swift motion which instantly got his attention, I tried to spell out *Are you alright?* In sign language. In all honesty, I hadn't used the language in a very long time... but it wasn't too hard to recall. The shadowy version of Nightmare stared at me blankly with a single teal eye, attempting to comprehend what I was trying to do.

It was obvious that he didn't know sign language, however, I had another idea. I moved my hand towards the ground where there wasn't any of the dead grass and began to write out the letter 'A'. Nightmare stared at the letter as I once again moved my hands to catch his attention.

After putting the first letter down, I signed the letter 'A' with a hand... Towards this, his eye seemed to widen in understanding. "You are trying to communicate with your hands?"