Mate (Jisung)

The cold wind nipped at his face as he looked down at the school ground. Everything was small from up here. Jisung could see thumb-sized football players running across the field, and people cheering from the sidelines. He could hear the cheer of the crowd from even up there, or every time someone's foot hit the ball. After all, he was a werewolf.

He lifted his scarf to cover his lower face that had almost become numb. Then he heard timid footsteps from behind him, climbing the stairs. That was odd. He had never seen anyone come up here at the rooftop, especially in this cold.

The door creaked behind him as it opened. Jisung froze as he smelled the wind. It had the aroma of something divine, something luscious and inviting. He lowered the scarf from his nose and the scent dizzied him. Before he could do anything else, he heard the door shut. He spun around and saw that the person was gone, and the scent with them. He heard thundering footsteps that were fainting by the second. Why would someone be running away from him?

With four long strides, he reached the door and jerked it open, and went running downstairs to chase the person. The sound of footsteps was completely gone so he searched the hallways and the classrooms, but to no avail.

His mind was racing. Could it be that the person was his mate? What else could explain that smell?

Jisung's train of thoughts was derailed by his phone vibrating in his pocket. He fished it out and barked an irritated 'hello,' in it.

"Woah, Woah," Jaemin's voice said from the other end of the line. "Everything alright?"

Jisung sighed, "I'm sorry Hyung, that wasn't for you. Anyway, why'd you call?"

"You're still in school, right?"

"Yeah, I was just leaving," Jisung said as he resumed walking.

"I left my gym bag in the theatre room, so bring it with you," Jaemin instructed.

"What's your gym bag doing in the theatre room?"

"Probably scared without me." Jisung rolled his eyes at that as a small smile made its way on his face.

He changed his route to go to the theatre room and his mind changed to his earlier thoughts. He couldn't help but think that the scent had a hint of fear on it. And if that person was really his mate then he had to offer his help.

He pushed open the door of the theatre room, light from the corridor spilling onto the rows of seats. Where could the bag be? He'd have to check every row.

Then his eyes caught a movement and he turned his head to look at the stage. Light shone on the center of the stage and the curtains were pulled open. A table stood at the center of the stage, holding a cake and presents. "Happy birthday to you," voices sung in chorus and Jisung's brothers came onto the stage. Jisung kept standing there, surprised.

Jeno motioned for Jisung to come, which made him snap out of his thoughts. He grinned widely and stepped up to the stage to thank his hyungs. He blew out the candles on the cake and fed everyone a morsel of it. Once again, they patted his back to congratulate him. He started opening his presents one by one.

While he was opening the one given by Haechan, he heard someone running and he paused. A second later he heard the footsteps of more people join in. He lifted his head just in time to see a girl run past the open door of the theatre. A group of girls was chasing after her. Then it hit him. The scent wafted through the open door, making him light-headed for a second.

Then without wasting any time, he ran towards the door. Presents forgotten, hyungs ignored. They called after him but he could only think about finding the origin of the scent. He didn't even know why he was chasing after the mob of girls. He could only justify it as instinct.

It was easy to chase after them since they were too loud to lose. Even though catching up to them was no difficult task for him, he chose to keep a safe distance, just to see where they were headed in such a hurry. He followed them outside the school building and towards the back gate. He saw as the girl who was being chased tried to open the door, only to find out that it was locked. Then she tried climbing over the metal gate but she was pulled back by a black-haired girl from the mob and slammed to the ground.

"Thought I'd let you go after the stunt you pulled?" The black-haired girl spat. Jisung recognized that voice, it was Yerin, the girl who chased after him and threw him flirty looks throughout the school year. Could it be that she was his mate? No, that couldn't be it. Otherwise, he would've caught on the scent earlier. Then the girl crying on the ground could be-

Yerin grabbed the girl's hair to jerk her up. Two other girls came around to hold the girl. Yerin drew back her fist, ready to swing at the poor girl's face. That's when Jisung ran forward, his body moving on his own. He parted through the posse, pushing everyone aside and grabbed Yerin's arm.

Yerin's annoyed faced turned around to look at the intruder. Her expression changed to a horrified one as all colour left her face. "Ji-Jisung?" Her lip quivered as she spoke, immediately letting go of the bullied girl's collar. That's when Jisung realized that he was wearing a scowl on his face. He shoved Yerin's arm away, turning to the battered girl and his expression softened. The scent had gotten intense at where he was standing.

"Scram, all of you," he gritted, without taking his eyes off the girl. Everyone hurried away and the girl tried to back away to leave but Jisung gently held her arm. "No, you stay." She did as he said, looking at him in befuddlement.

Even though the girls were gone, the scent was still powerful. Which could only mean that Jisung had just found his mate. As the silence stretched over them the girl looked away awkwardly. "Um, thank you... for saving me."

The boy smiled, "I'm Jisung, what's your name?"

"Y/N," she said as she looked back at him. A small smile on her face. Jisung realized that the scent was fading.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" He asked, his eyebrows drawing in.

"I am because of you." Jisung looked down at her state and saw that her knees were bleeding from the fall.

"Let's get you patched up. Can you walk?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's not as bad as it looks," she reassured. Jisung offered her his arm anyway and she took it for support. They started to walk slowly towards the school building.

"There you are!" Chenle said as he slowed to a stop, panting from the run. Then his eyes fell on Y/N and he swallowed whatever he was about to say next. His hyungs followed Chenle and entered a state of confusion as they saw Jisung helping a slightly limping girl.

Jisung helped her to the infirmary and cleaned and dressed her wound. "It was you on the roof this morning, right?" He suddenly blurted out.

"How... how did you know?" Her eyes were wide in shock.

"Were you running away from them at that time too?" She nodded sheepishly.

Jisung then understood why he detected the scent at those times. It was because Y/N was in trouble, and her fear became the cause of the scent. And now that he knew that Y/N was his mate, he wouldn't let anything bad happen to her.

xxx

Thank you for reading everyone! A special thanks to @Quinn_KimxCzennie for this request!

If you liked this imagine, then don't forget to vote and comment!