Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

I'd talked to my sister on the phone while I killed a half hour. There was nothing else to do, and I needed someone to talk to. She was the only person I counted on for boy advice. The fact that I was even asking for boy advice made me want to hide my head in shame.

She'd laughed. Of course she had laughed. Then she had squealed, so loud I thought my eardrums would burst.

I put the phone back by my ear when the high-pitched banshee screech had ended. "Are you done?"

"Yes, sorry. I just can't believe my little sister is getting into the swing of normal girl stuff."

"I'm not getting into the swing of anything," I mumbled as I picked at the invisible fuzz on my blanket.

"You just told me you kissed a boy. I'd say that's pretty darn normal."

"He kissed me." I pointed out. "And then he ran away." I rolled onto my back, looking up at the plain white ceiling.

"But you also went on a date, and you brought him back to the house. Did he meet Dad?"

"Yes he met Dad." I scrunched my nose. "And it wasn't a date. It was Zombie burger and a tour of downtown. That's the furthest thing from a date."

"It was totally a date."

"I don't even know why I'm telling you all this." I sighed and covered my face.

"Because I'm your sister, and you needed to talk to someone about your new boyfriend."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the 'b' word there. I do not have a boyfriend. Jared is so not my boyfriend. I barely even know the guy. He's been here less than a week."

"I always knew you worked fast." I could hear the smile in her voice. She was totally loving this, every uncomfortable, squirming minute of my agonizing discomfort.

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes. Even though Sarah couldn't see it, she knew I'd done it. "I need to get ready for a hunt, and you need to go do your doctor duties."

I may not understand Sarah's choice of quitting the hunting life, but I knew being a doctor was something that was important to her. I'd started to understand that when Jared talked about his own dream. If being a doctor was what Sarah wanted, then I would be happy for her. Or at least try to be.

"It was good talking to you again, El."

"It was good talking to you too. Now go be smart."

"Bye," Sarah said with a laugh.

"Talk to you later."

I put my phone down and rolled off the bed. I pulled out my typical hunting gear and changed. I grabbed my boots from the closet and sat on the edge of my bed as I pulled them on and laced them up. I went downstairs and grabbed my leather jacket off the rack, continuing on to the basement.

The door to the armory was wide open, and my dad was inside looking over the array of weapons. We hadn't even used a good portion of them, but The Organization was constantly issuing us more.

I grabbed my dagger from its place on the steel tabletop, thankful that Ian had at least brought it back with us and given it to my father. Looking over the display of guns, I picked up two Neco handguns, checking them both, to make sure there was ammunition for both a werewolf and vampire. Stashing the weapons in their normal spots on me, I picked up a stake, sliding it into my boot.

"You really cover everything, don't you?" My dad said from behind.

"You taught me everything I know. Be ready for long range and close quarters." I turned around to face him.