Chapter 12

My blood dripped down to the seat beneath me, and I could feel myself teetering on the edge of darkness, my surroundings becoming in and out of focus as my eyes stung.

Faintly, I could hear the raspy sounds of lycans' growls, their heavy footsteps against snow noticeable and loud even over the noise of the vehicle's engine.

My head slouched forward, eyes drifting shut as Helda began to tend to my wounds, and short puffs of breath escaped my mouth as my lungs began to burn.

The cold wind from outside smarted the side of my face and I grimaced, eyebrows knitting together until Helda shifted my body closer to her own, hearing her soft grunt before something soft was placed against my badly wounded neck.

"Are they gone?" It was a question asked by Helda's cousin many minutes later and it was left unanswered. The car picked up speed and my body jostled, pain rippling through my upper back. I groaned softly, and whatever Helda held to me was pressed tighter.

With much effort I began to open my mouth, to explain to Helda that it was not just my neck that was profusely bleeding, but I drifted into seemingly never ending darkness before I could utter a single word.

And when I awoke again, we were still in the car. My coat was gone, along with the sweatshirt underneath and I was left in a shirt, with the back ripped down the middle. The scratches on my back were securely bandaged and my neck continued to throb painfully.

Helda was asleep beside me, and the engine was now a soft purr that made my eyelids heavy. Nonetheless, I straightened from my hunched position, placing my palms against my kneecaps and meeting Elizabeth's sharp eyes in the rearview mirror, seeing the flicker of relief in them, before being washed over and replaced with exhaustion.

"They are no longer following us." Elizabeth informed me softly, voice shaky. "We're safe, Olivia."

I swallowed thickly, hearing the scoff from her husband, Ryker. His hands were tightly gripping the steering wheel, knuckles white and face grim. "We won't be safe until we reach home."

The car jerked when it drove over a rocky road, and my fingers gripped my kneecaps, feeling the seat belt digging almost painfully into my chest.

I absently noticed that the windows were now rolled completely up, and warmth floated around the car, wafting over my exposed skin.

I tentatively placed a hand against a bandage, eyes moving to the window and watching the snow drift down to the earth. A pang arose in my chest as my thoughts went to Yanneek, and I had no doubt that Hannes would immediately go to him for answers relating to where we would be.

But, as far as I was concerned, Yanneek did not know the exact location of the community which we were travelling to.

"How long will it be until we reach your home?" I asked, voice barely audible and rough.

I was beginning to feel weak again, but I strained to listen as Ryker clipply responded,

"We should reach Corozal in approximately two hours," Ryker slowed the car, head turning to look towards me. "After you have recovered, we have much to discuss, young lady."

His gaze went to my bandages pointedly and my hand stilled against them, eyes narrowing only slightly before I nodded in understanding, redirecting my attention towards the window, recalling Elizabeth's words about out running lycans, but still searching for any possible signs of them.

Eventually, the need for rest crippled fear and I was once again consumed with darkness.

********