Chapter 4: Points To Remember... About The Bad Girl

*Adrians POV*

      Turns out Ms. Badass had her very next class with me. So here we were sitting side by side in the music room, waiting for the teacher to show up. I threw a glance at the girl next to me. She was writing in a diary, her eyebrows scrunched up and the tip of her tongue peeping from her round pink lips as she concentrated. She hadn't said a word to me since the cafeteria. I thought back to the first words I said to her. Such an idiot! my conscience reprimanded. I sighed and opened my mouth to say something when the teacher walked in like a mini tornado on heels.

      "Good afternoon class!" she said perkily. Eccentric was an understatement. The woman that stood in front of me looked nothing short of a colourful bird. Her hair was dyed in five different colors, from red and hot pink to green and blue. To add the effect she was dressed like your typical hippie, with her multicolored clothing. My eyes widened as I heard a soft giggle from Kate. "Good afternoon Ms. Palmer." The class greeted her.

     "How many times have I told you guys not to call me that? It's Molly!" she exclaimed. I stared in disbelief. That is definitely not what I expected. I felt a pat on my arm. "Close your mouth. You don't want the flies to enter." Kate whispered with a slight laugh. I just shook my head and laughed a little. People would say stranger things have happened. "Right class! It's time for the annual group project. The person with the best grade gets extra credit and a chance to represent our school at the Festival of the Arts." Molly, the teacher, said. Everyone seemed super excited. I looked at Kate. She looked bored, but from the glint in her eye, you could tell she was excited. "Settle down! Now this year it's pairs. So here are the pairings." She said and went on announcing names. Groans or whoops of joy emitted with every pairing. "Jack Sammuels with Lisa Samson. And Kate Sanders you're the only one left so you go alone." Molly said, looking up to notice me. "Oh wait! New kid! You go with Kate!" She said.

      Kate groaned from next to me. "Why couldn't I have been and Anderson of something?" She muttered. Ouch! That was kinda rude. "Right, the next few weeks before winter break is going to be for your practice. Brainstorm guys!" Molly said. Everybody shuffled around and found their partners. "So you already know I play the piano. What do you do?" Kate asked turning toward me. "I sing. Say, how about we go to the auditorium? I have an idea and I want to see if it'll work." I said and Kate nodded. She grabbed my hand making me wince. Something flashed across her face that looked suspiciously like guilt. "Molly, could Adrian and I use the piano in the auditorium?" she asked the hippie teacher. "Sure! Just let me know before you leave. A text will suffice." Molly said. "Will do!" Kate replied and went back to grab her stuff. Apparently she was grabbing mine as well.

      "Let's go!" she said, excitement dancing in her eyes, like twinkling stars. We walked briskly out of the classroom, with Kate leading the way. She still seemed excited, probably at the thought of having her fingers on the black and white keys. She reminded me of a little child on Christmas morning, eager to see what Santa had left under the tree. I smiled and lengthened my stride to keep up with her. When we were at the big black doors, Kate pushed the door open and half ran to the grand piano. She now was seated there and playing warm up notes. A loud laugh exited my lips. "What?" she asked, her eyebrows scrunched in what I now recognize as annoyance. "Nothing. It's just that your enthusiasm is contagious." I said grinning

     "Right!" She said her eyes rolling to the sky and back. "You had an idea?"

     "Yeah! One sec!" I said and put my hand into my pocket. "Ow!" Like the idiot I was, I stuck my bruised hand to my pocket. Kate got up and walked purposefully towards me. She grabbed my upper arm, and pulled me to a chair.