Mismatched Compatibility (29)

Dana:

I watched as someone carrying a glass of champagne approached him. I waited for his expression to turn smug, or at least for him to sneer, but neither came. He looked polite as he smiled and talked to this stranger.

I blinked. He . . . didn't look like the Ethan I knew. Although, he still carried himself quite confidently. He was . . . courteous. This was mind-boggling.

The stranger who was talking to him turned sideways, and I caught a sight of who it was. My heartbeat accelerated when I realized that the stranger was none other than my father.

“Excuse me,” I mumbled to Peter, as I hurried to the other side of the room.

I ran my hands to smooth my rose lavender chiffon dress that ended just below the knee, as I walked swiftly through the crowd. Ethan's eyes met mine. I felt tingles all over my body, while several emotions flashed through his eyes at the same time. Before I could identify each one, my feet stopped right in front of both men.

“Father,” I said quietly, my eye not leaving Ethan's.

His easy smile was intact but I could see his eyes grew intense the longer he stared at me. I couldn't look away. My heart was beating irrationally, and I could feel mild sweat forming on my temple. It took all I had not to jump on Ethan and hug him.

It was unbelievably good to see him. Only a few hours have passed, but I missed him so much already.

“Daniella,” smiled my father brightly. He leaned over to kiss me on the cheeks. When he pulled away, he gestured to Ethan who looked quite at ease – as though being in a room full of New York City's elite didn't bother him. “I met your friend from New Jersey. We've been talking. You failed to mention that he's a Beaumont.”

I didn't tell my father everything, only that I came to visit a friend for a few days right outside the city. He knew it was a boy. I wanted to at least be truthful about that part. I remembered him clearly waiting for me to share more.

I didn't.

Thankfully, he dropped the subject when he saw I wasn't willing to speak more of it. He was just happy that I was finally home.

“I forgot,” I replied presently, even though it wasn't necessary.

Father faced Ethan again, grinning warmly as he always did. He had always been genuinely friendly to everyone, as long as you didn't break his trust or did something he considered immoral. He was such a good man that everybody couldn't help but love and respect him.

Despite all that, I wasn't quite sure if I was ready for him to meet Ethan. I wasn't prepared. Especially now.

“I know your uncle,” mentioned Father a-matter-of-factly. “We usually golf together with few other men in the summer.”

Oh, right. I've almost forgotten that Ethan was a Beaumont (old money) by blood, courtesy of his mother Cher. This was probably the first – and only – time he acknowledged it.

“I'm not very fond of him,” admitted Ethan truthfully.

I wonder if it was too soon to kiss him?

Father burst out laughing from Ethan's bluntness, patting him on the shoulder. “That explains why I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you before now.”

“I've been busy with school and basketball for the past years, sir.”

“No girlfriend?” asked Father, surprised.

Ethan's eyes flickered to me.

I knew my father enough to know that he was fishing. He wanted to know exactly what kind of relationship I had with Ethan. This was his subtle way of finding it out. Unfortunately, Ethan was anything but subtle. His gaze was directly on me.