Chapter Forty

This chapter is dedicated to user39759836 for all the votes. Thank you so much for supporting the story.

In World History, all I do is think about him and our fight

In World History, all I do is think about him and our fight. I don't know what the hell happened. I am glad Jayden is willing to try and be friends again, but I feel guilty about how it all went down. I pull my phone out when my anxiety gets unbearable. I feel like I can't breathe.

I'm sorry. I swear it's not what it looked like. It was just two friends working things out.

I send it and wait for a reply, but nothing comes. When I leave class, I rush to the parking lot, but he is gone. So I get in my car and call him, but he doesn't pick up. Maybe he just needs time. I decide to go over to his house later if he doesn't call me back.

My heart feels like it's cracking the whole drive home. I find the house empty when I get inside, and I realize mom must have taken the boys out to The Arcade like she sometimes does when she doesn't have the night shift.

I sit curled on the couch and wait for Liam to call me to no avail. Lux keeps me company and keeps my anxiety at bay with her loving cuddles. Two hours pass, but nothing comes. He hasn't even replied to my earlier text. As crazy as it sounds, this is the longest we've gone without talking. I feel a wet spot on the couch cushion and realize my tears are falling without my knowledge. Lux whines beside me cause I'm not giving her any attention anymore.

I sit straight and fumble with my phone, typing and deleting messages to send to Liam before I settle on one.

Liam, I'm really hurting. Why won't you talk to me? I don't want to fight. Please.

I wait for about thirty minutes and when he doesn't reply I decide to go over. I tie my hair back and wipe my puffy eyes before grabbing my keys. I hear a knock on the door, and I take one last look in the mirror before rushing to downstairs. When I open the door, I am greeted by a breathtaking sight. Liam, in a tux, his hair slicked back, looking like he belongs in one of those tuxedo catalogs.

I stare up at him in shock.

"I'm sorry, Jess." He eyes me longingly. "I don't want to fight either. You're my best friend. Your last text really pained me. I never wanted to hurt you. I just..."

I throw my arms around him and pull him into a hug.

"It wasn't like that, Liam. With Jayden, it wasn't like that." I say, and he nods.

"I know, baby. I'm so sorry. I hated seeing you like that with him."

I nod, clutching him tighter.

When we pull apart, he wipes my tears and kisses both my eyes, then my cheeks, then my nose, and I giggle.

"You look handsome," I tell him, and he smiles.