Chapter 11

Watching Mrs. Riderson toddle her way from The Little Bean was a relief, she was a difficult customer any day, but today she'd decided to stick around much longer than normal. The half hour I had told Nathan it would take to get cleaned up was nearly gone, and my eagerness to see him was mixed with a bit of dread that maybe he hadn't waited.

"You okay Ryan? You seem a bit anxious." Michael said as he put the extra pastries into twp of our little cream colored boxes. Normally he would send any extras home with whoever was working that night as a bit of a thanks.

"Yeah... I'm just... I guess I'm kind of worried my ride won't want to wait much longer on me is all." I offered him a weak smile, my eyes falling to the box that most likely was meant for me. "And... well I'm trying to cut back on my sugar intake..."

"Oh trust me I noticed, usually you'd have snagged at least two during your shift, plus some weird sugary drink. This box isn't for you, it's for Rhett." Michael smiled before walking over to me. "And as to your ride, if you're that worried you can go ahead and head out. I can finish the last bit of locking up."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be an inconvenience... it's just that this whole thing is new and... and I just really don't want to make Nathan have to wait any longer than he already has."

"Go." He started to wave me off before pausing. "Actually there is going to be a catch to me letting you leave before we are done."

Dread hit me like a rock, I couldn't afford to lose this job. Add to that the fact that Michael and my other coworkers felt more and more like family every day.

"Don't look at me like that, I'm not asking you to hide a body or anything. I was just wondering if you could take these to Rhett for me? He had group today and it can be a bit rough on him sometimes. I'd run them myself but Zach said something about going out for supper."

"Oh... okay, yeah that's not a problem at all. I mean I live in the same building as him after all." Relief floored me along with just a tiny hint of excitement. After the car ride with Rhett earlier and a long shift, spending a bit of time with a potential new friend sounded great.

"I was hoping you'd say that." Michael smiled handing me the box before shooing me out the front door and locking it behind me. The smell of sugary sweetness wrapped around me, making my mouth water as I turned to look for Ryan, a grin plastered to my face.

Spotting Nathan's car I made my way over, practically walking on air. It had been a real whirlwind of a day.

The smile that Nathan wore when I got into the car turned to a scowl of disapproval as soon as he saw the pastry box.

"Ryan..." The way he said it, made me flinch, as if just having the pastries was a disappointment.

"They aren't for me, Michael just asked me to drop them off to Rhett when I get home. I promise." My reply was whisper soft as I tried to silently beg him to believe me. "Michael knows I'm trying to cut back on sugar."

"You mean cut out sugar entirely." Nathan corrected the corners of his lips still turned down as he turned the car on. My heart sank at needing to be corrected about something so simple.

"Right. That's what I meant, I'm sorry." I replied softly, my eyes searching his face for something, forgiveness maybe?

"It's okay, just try and do better. I do still believe that maybe working in a coffee shop isn't the best place for you, especially when you are trying to lose weight." Nathan kept his eyes on the road as he spoke, only acknowledging me with his words.

"I will do better and I'll see if I can find a lab job again. I should get back to work on my serum anyway." My conversation with Michael came to mind, hope bubbling up inside me that maybe I really wasn't the only man who wouldn't mind carrying a child of his own.