Chapter 71

Kora

Kora

I was barely at ease. It had been exactly two hours since the fight broke out and Jeremiah had to go to the dean's office, and three hours since all the fleet of cars drove into NAUN. Rumor had it that the school had invited all their parents or guardians for a brief meeting. A meeting that was taking hours.

I was worried. Really worried, especially since I had spent the past thirty minutes pacing around the hall. I could see Luke from the transparent glass, sitting on the long bench outside the room rubbing his hands and bowing his head, but I pretended like I didn't. After all that had happened, avoiding Luke was the only thing that was sane to do. He abandoned me, not once, not twice, but all the time. He never took my side. He just watched everyone hurt me all the time. Why did I need to care about him?

Don't stress it, Kora. He deserves it. One voice told me.
He's into this trouble because of you in the first place. It's really wrong to just ignore him. Another voice told me.

What about it though? I didn't ask anyone to be an African version of Bruce lee on my behalf. He was doing pretty well acting like he didn't see Charles bully me from the beginning. If he had just stepped in at that time, maybe things wouldn't have gotten so worse. I exhaled and then came to a stop, making sure I was backing him.

The last thing I needed was him seeing the worried look on my face. I didn't want him to know I still cared so much about him. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he was going through. Unlike the rest of the boys inside the dean's office, Luke had no one to come in for him. He had lied to the entire school that he was new young money just to avoid being laughed at, and now his mother couldn't even come to intercede for him. How could she? She could barely even speak English the right way. The moment she stepped foot inside NAUN, the whole school was going to know Luke had lied to them, and Peter was just too busy with work to concern himself with anything that happened to Luke. Luke was the least of his problems. Good thing I called for back up when I did.

I checked my wrist watch.

God, Kora, you'd never learn not to be kind to people that never return the favor. My good heart was killing me. I hated the fact that I was too soft for my own good.

"Kora!"

Soft enough to call my own mother to stand in as Luke's guardian. So long for past relationships. He did get into all that trouble for me anyway. I didn't want to stay indebted to him or anyone for anything ever again.

"Mum." I ran into my mother's embrace. Ignoring the fact that she had the time to dress so dramatically under short notice. Her large pink hat covered half of her face, and her pink gloves ran up to her elbows. Her pink shoes managed to shimmer right under her black net dress. A complete drama queen. To my mother, her appearance was everything. She never wanted to be caught off guard or unfresh at any event, especially since she was coming to an only rich-kids school for a meeting with some of the greatest families in the country. My mum loves to represent all the time. I mean, this was the only time she might ever show up in school to represent anyone. She just had to make the best of it as always, and I was so used to it.