Chapter 18: Frostbite

So I was thinking. I really like posting two chapters every week, especially now that we're getting to a REALLY big part of the book in a few chapters (I think it's in like six more chapters and then Norah does something drastic. Again). 

But, if you guys want me to start posting two chapters a week, let me know. I might adjust my posting schedule to post new chapters on Sunday if I start doing two chapters a week. But let me know what you guys think, and as always, if you want, vote for the chapters. 

 My body is tight like a coiled snake, ready to react and spring into action. The students stay close together, never daring to near the other faction. Sprinting, we circle around the arena that earth mages had erected early this morning. It looks nearly identical to the sketches Holland had come up with last night. Except, now with Clarika's help, benches raise outside the arena, allowing students a place to sit while they wait their turn to fight. They rise vertically and I know as soon as everyone is done warming up, they'll be sitting up there. It makes me wonder if the dragon riders will place their bets on one another like mages do.

Easton sticks close to me when we stop to stretch. Donovan follows suit and together we chat with Holland and the other instructors barking orders at us in the background. I'm too excited to hide my smile whenever I look at Clarika.

She stands close to Holland, arms held behind her like a soldier awaiting a command, while he impassively watches his student's trail behind me like baby ducks. Neither of them talk much. Holland's too busy correcting people and Clarika remains silent, knowing a Crimson talking with a dragon rider might as well be treason in the mages eyes.

My eyes slide over the crowd that consisted of dragon riders and mages but no dragons. Galeur and the other dragon instructors have taken the dragons to learn how to handle themselves in dragon fights. I can feel Rima's excitement thumbing through the bond like a living artery, pumping blood.

Vexian's glare burns into the side of my neck like the sun above. She wears a rather tight, brown uniform for an earth mage. But I suppose in enemy territory everyone needs to look their best.

I try my best to ignore her, but we lock eyes every now and then and she drags a finger down her cheek in mock tears. I know Holland catches it too, which means I have to be the bigger person and turn away or else face his disapproval.

"Mutt," I hear her whisper.

Once were done stretching, Holland and the other instructors call us to the outer edge of the arena where Skin Healers sit or lean against the walls. As Holland begins to explain the rules of the challenge, they start to spread out along the walls. Earth mages follow them while others start to set up the arena.

The ground rumbles as earth mages raise and flatten the dirt and snow to create a small city that runs across the middle section of the arena. The roofs are hooded and the dirt streets are narrow, creating nearly pitch black alleyways. On the other side, the dirt hardens into a dark mountain with numerous platforms. While the mages go on with their speech, unbothered, the dragon riders openly gape.

I stretch my wrists, twisting them and counting the twelve flat, stone platforms. Each one varies in height. The shortest comes to my shoulder while the tallest, planted in the center of the others, like a king with its circle of guards, is easily double the height of Galeur.

My sister stays back to let the other mage instructors talk to their students, while Holland talks to us.

He paces slowly in front of us, hands clasped behind him with an expression on the verge of cold or extreme focus. "I know how you feel about the mages," he begins as the arena finishes forming. "But there isn't anything we can do about that. We are Dragon Riders, and we are sworn to protect people, and with The Darkening possessing people and dragons, we need to prepare you for everything. And that means preparing you for Thrawlers with elemental abilities."