Chapter 20

Jason stood by the medical table, looking down at Blair's unconscious body, feeling more helpless than he had ever felt in his life

Jason stood by the medical table, looking down at Blair's unconscious body, feeling more helpless than he had ever felt in his life. He wasn't sure what she was seeing in her nightmare, but whatever it was wasn't completely horrible judging by how quiet and calm she was. At least, it wasn't yet.

"Bruce, she's really quiet for a person stuck inside a nightmare." He observed, jumping when Bruce punched his lab table. "What? What happened?"

"I can't figure out an antidote." Bruce growled. "She's calm right now because the drug hasn't completely taken over yet, the longer this takes, the more time the drug has to take over her brain and I have no idea what will happen to her when that happens."

Alfred brought a chair over to the table, giving Jason a stern look, "Sit down before you pass out."

Jason sat down without arguing, his eyes never leaving Blair's unconscious face. He had no idea what to do and it was killing him. That needle was supposed to be in his neck, not hers.

An idea came to his mind as he replayed the events of the night in his mind. Crane had said he originally planned to test the drug out on himself before they had come along, meaning he must have made an antidote to ensure that he wouldn't die. All they had to do was find it. The problem was, he didn't want to leave Blair's side.

"Bruce, I know where you'll be able to find an antidote for this." He said aloud. Bruce looked up from his lab table, waiting for him to continue. "Crane said that he had planned to take it himself before we had shown up, so there has to be one somewhere in the basement, maybe even on him."

Blair twitched a little on the table before getting still again, causing Jason to look at Bruce with wide eyes, "Bruce, Bruce you have to go now."

Bruce was already marching through the Cave to get to the Batmobile, "Stay with her, I'm going to handle this, keep me updated."

Blair twitched again, Jason instinctively taking her hand, "Come on, B. It's in your head, you can fight it."

********

The Cave was silent for five minutes after Bruce had sped away, just Alfred and Jason sitting with Blair. Jason wanted to hit something, yell, scream, anything but just sit there. Blair was fighting her demons head-on inside of her mind alone and all he could do is sit there while it happened.

"Jason?!?" Blair exclaimed, twisting in her sleep.

Jason shot out of his chair, standing over her. He grabbed her hand again, shocked to find her skin was hot to the touch. He put a hand to her forehead, finding it was just as hot as the rest of her. "Alfred, she's burning up."

Alfred leaned over her, placing a cold wash cloth to her forehead, "Try to keep her cool. Take off her boots."

Jason moved to follow Alfred's instructions, moving as quick as he could. Alfred threw her cloak to the ground, starting to pull at zippers and straps when she twisted out of his grip, a scream ripping from her body, "GARTH!"