chapter one

"Why won't the world accept me?"

The lady looked at you, sitting on her chair in her home. She could relate to the young girl's feelings. She struggled with people accepting her too.

"I've only wanted to one thing in my life, to help people. But whenever I try to use my gift, they refuse me, and call me a witch. I've been running around ever since my family abandoned me, searching for a place that would truly accept me. It seems like no one actually will," The girl said while looking at her rugged hands.

"What do you think I can do for you?" The woman said while sitting on a chair right in front of the girl.

"I heard you were a doctor..."

"Yes, I am."

"Could you fix me?" The girl said with tears streaming down her eyes.

"And take away your wonderful gift? Even if I could, I wouldn't dare,"

You stood up abruptly and removed the hood from your head, "Well then, can you teach me?"

"Teach you to what?"

"Help people, heal them, be a doctor,"

"But-" the woman was interrupted by the girl getting on her knees. She was begging.

"Please! Help me fulfill my purpose; help me help the world without the use of this godforsaken magic!"
---------------------------------------------------------

You gasped as you suddenly woke up from your dream. "Lisa..." You breathed out, so cold you could see your breath.

You haven't thought about her in awhile, it's been about a year, when this whole fiasco started. You've been busy preparing for the incoming apocalypse to care about anything, let alone everyone else.

"Wow, I really burned this section of trees down, didn't I?" You said as you looked around you. The trees in front of you were burnt to a crisp. A monster carcass laid in front of you, charcoal black from the fire. You just sighed and got up from your cozy spot against the one tree perfectly fine from the events beforehand.

The best course of action was to head to town, so that's exactly what you did. You were pretty close from your trek last night, it's just that you ran into a monster and once you killed it, you were beyond tired.

Once you arrived, you started to take a look around. You were try to see if anyone needed your assistance, if anyone was attacked by the horde. "It seems like the horde doesn't reach here; I came all this way for nothing. To the next town it is..."

You were about to leave the town, but you came across a bar. You decided one drink wouldn't hurt before you left on your travels, being sober was boring. You entered the bar, sat down, and ordered an ale for your troubles.

"So, what's the next town over?" You asked the bartender. Everyone was looking at you weirdly, since you were a woman, and apparently to them, you were dressed and acting like a man.

"...that probably be Gresit, but you definitely don't want to go over there. That's not any place for a lady," The older man said. You just shed a little smile and slightly shook your head.

"Why would that be, barkeep?" You said as you were retrieving your pouch of coins from the side. Was this a place that could use you?

"Every night, the town seems to be plagued by a horde of monsters straight from hell. I heard they are recieving the worst of satan's wrath,"

"Satan you say? No, this is not satan," You said as you got up from your stool. The bartender looked at you in a confused manner as you dusted yourself off and put on your cloak, "Don't be mistaken, this is Dracula and his revenge,"

"Dracula? A beautiful lady like you should not be spouting lies! Dracula is nothing but a myth," A man said from a table near by. You looked over to him as you walked towards the door.

"I say nothing but truth. Dracula is real," You tried to walk towards the door but the same man and some others blocked you and got in your way.

"I've been eyeing you as you walked in here, as you sat there and drank your ale. Despite the lies you spread, you are a fine woman. Why not stay another night with the boys and me?"

"Unlike the others you have pursued in this town, I do have some self respect. You think you're good enough for me?" You said with a chuckle and covered your mouth with your hand. The men in front of you became increasingly angry with your insults.

"You bitch!" The ringleader said as he prepared to swing at you. You watched as he slowly pulled his arm back, trying to strike you, but before he could do anything you quickly jabbed his throat.

He stumbled back and grabbed his throat as he struggled to breath. You just chuckled as you walked through the exasperated men towards the door.

"Ack! You're just- just gonna let that- that fucking bitch hit me like that? After her! You fricking oafs!" The ringleader said with his leftover breath while on his knee. The two other men looked at eachother and reluctantly went outside to find you.

"Ugh, I hate the rain, even a little drizzle like this" You said as you pulled your hood up. You rubbed your knuckles to help ease the pain of the bruise that was going to form. As you adjusted your bag and prepared to leave, you hear the door to the bar slam open. You turned around and saw the two men stalk towards you. "When a woman says no, she means no. Not chase after her," You said jokingly. They only scowled at you in response.

You went for your twin daggers but before you could pull them out, a wave of fire coming from behind you hit the men and set them slightly aflame. The yelled and ran back inside the bar, probably hoping that the bartender would throw some ale on them.

"The only type of fire that could last through the drizzle like this is magic fire. That's pretty risky," You said outloud before turning around. You turned around only to see a person in heavy robes with a hood covering their head and cast s shadow over their face, "Are you a witch?" You said with a playful tone.

"Hmm, I prefer magician," the person said with a light voice. "I couldn't just let them come at you like that. There was no one around besides us and them. No one will believe them and I'll be gone the next day,"

"So will I. I heard Gresit could use my help,"

"I'm heading to Gresit as well, maybe you coul travel with us? It is dangerous to be traveling alone, especially now,"

"You offer a stranger asylum? I could be dangerous for all you know,"

"Offering safety to strangers is my job," the person said. They took off their hood only to reveal a woman with blond hair and light blue eyes, "I'm Sypha, a speaker. And you are? So we won't be strangers any longer?"

You chuckled, realizing why this person looked and acted the way they did, "I'm Y/n, a doctor."