Lester Averman

I've always had this crush on Lester, I don't know why or how it happened or started, but what I knew is that I liked him. And I liked him a lot. I got made fun of a lot of the time by my friends because he was weird or because I was too shy to admit that I liked him. He was a funny guy and I liked guys who put themselves out there and he really did do that. 

I'm sixteen years old and my last boyfriend made me a mess, he was quite bossy and always wanted to make out, but I wasn't for it. I wanted to relax, have fun, and hang out, but no, all he could think about is sticking his tongue down my throat or touching my ass. All I wanted now is a nice simple relationship with a fun guy who understood what I wanted, but did any guy understand that?

He plays hockey, but I don't know anything about the sport and even if I try, I look like a fool in front of him and his friends. He was always around a few guys in particular, they went by the names of Goldberg, Russ, Ken, Dwayne, and Luis. However, I saw him with other friends too, not just those few.

I don't even know is Lester has noticed me, we've been at the same school for two years now. I've noticed him, but maybe he and I aren't meant to mix, ya know? I do wish there were some better way to approach life than blurting out you like someone. 

When class ended, I grabbed my books and left the class with my two friends. Three of us looked to be geniuses in this class; it was only English, but no one bothered to read their books or do the assignments. Gia and Kelly walked on either side of me, the three of us talking about assignment that was due in a week from now. A newspaper article we needed to write about. I wasn't sure what to write about yet, but I wanted it to be raw and pure.

I was pretty good with newspaper articles, I write for the school's paper. I enjoy it, I get to see our team's play and write reviews. I can write about an individual who I think has stood out, or about some drama at school, it all depends and not always can it be a hit. Sometimes I get criticized by people who do not agree with my opinion, but that's part of it.

On our way down the hall, I could hear some guys laughing behind us, but didn't bother to turn around because that would give them more of a reason to laugh. That's if they were laughing at us, of course. I was usually always nervous around Lester and his friends, it just happens and I can't help myself.

"Hey, um, Payton." We hearkened, the three of us turned and I furrowed my brows, not sure who called my name.

A group of boys walked up and among that pack of boys stood Lester, whom they call Averman. He was laughing with a few buddies and I looked at Kelly and Gia, the three of us stood shoulder to shoulder, bags on our backs, papers in hand. "So, um, we all have the assignment in English to do. We were wondering if you could give us a few pointers." Charlie Conway spoke up.

I nod. "Oh, sure, of course." I say. "Um, well, you want to make sure there's detail. Get lots of information to back up your main idea. Develop everything, have a nice font, a few photos maybe. Interview some people to get second opinions as well."

"Okay, cool." Charlie nods.

"So, can we like write about anything?" Russ Tyler asked.

I nod again. "Yeah, it's your paper and your opinion."

"She did an interview on me a few weeks back." Adam Banks spoke up. Indeed I did do an article on him, hence the reason for the interview. He's the biggest name in hockey right at the school. He's a Junior and could play Senior level if he wanted to. He was that good, I couldn't not write about him. People needed to know him better as well.

"Thanks, Payton." They nod, all of them walking off, either patting my shoulder or smiling, except for Lester. He gave me a goofy grin and my two friends walked off, knowing I have a crush for this boy, so they thought it'd be good if they left.

"Hi, Lester." I give him a smile.

"Hey," He nods. He's a Junior like Adam and others, a year older than I am. "So, I read your bit of the paper from last week and thought it was pretty good." He told me. I was shocked to hear this, he actually knows who I am and what I do?

Let me tell you, it's hard not to gush about it in front of him like a little girl. "Really?" I asked, not sure what else to say.

"Yeah, anyway, since you write so many articles on everyone else, I thought mine could be about you." His hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans as he looked at me.

I was almost excited about this somehow. I know people notice me from the paper, but now they would know me more because Lester wanted t write about me. Not only was he writing about me, but this meant I get to spend time with him, to work, of course. But hey, I get to spend time with my crush, it's a dream come true...almost.

"Wow, that's cool." I nod. "Name a day and time and I'll see if I can make it."

"Great. What about tomorrow after school? I'm free from hockey."

"I guess that works. The library is good?"

"Sure." He nods. "I'm not much of a school fanatic, so, it's your call." He laughs and I laugh at his comment as well, kind of in an odd situation. I was impressed with how I was doing, no stutter and no embarrassment, it was good.

"Well, I'm the complete opposite. I'm a nerd." I sighed.

"Nerd or Jock, who cares?" He said, trying to make me feel better about myself, which it did a little, but I was still known as a nerd to everyone else who could write. "...One question." I nod and he continues on with his question. "Who was that article about that you wrote last week? It seems like I know him." He spoke, not too sure who it was and was stuck on it.

"Um," I rubbed my arm, pretending like I needed to remember who it was. He looked over my shoulder and I turned to see what he was looking at. His friends were there, waiting for him with smiles, some even laughing or cheering him on, which didn't make complete sense. "It's about a guy I like. Nothing important." I answered.

"I know that, but who? If it's one of my teammates, I'm sure I could help ya out."

"I'm sure you could." I nod. "But's it not one of your teammates...It's you." I mumbled the part.

"Hmm?" He questioned me, hearing the mumble, but he didn't manage to hear what slipped from my tongue. 

"Okay!" I called. "I'm late for class. See you around." I lied, stretching my arms and turned around, holding the straps of my bag as I walked off.

Lester stood there dumbfound, watching me leave, his friends making hand motions and gestures to him. I could see it from the corner of my eye, but I continued on as if I didn't see. His friends looked crazy, but not as crazy as what was gonna happen next. "Payton! Wait!" Lester called, a hand rubbing his forehead. I turned on my heels and he jogged over to me.

Within seconds of him calling out my name, an arm grasped my waist and his lips had met mine. I flushed a deep red, not only was this something I've longed for since I broke up with my ex, but I was embarrassed at the same time. He was doing this in the middle of the hallway, everyone is watching us. I could feel the stares penetrating through me, but he shielded me from people in front of me.

Of course, I kissed him back until it felt like my lips were swollen and falling off. He pulled back and I gave a good look around, people staring and Lester stared at me still. "All right!" Guy cheered and my head whipped around.

Soon, everyone was cheering us on and I felt less embarrassed and the moment felt less weird. Lester laughed and I looked back at him for a moment. "Am I wrong if I say the paper was about me?"

I shook my head. "No."

"I'll see you later. I got practice." He told me.

I barely knew the guy, I mean, I knew enough to write an article, but I didn't know him really well like I did with other people. I watched him walk off and everyone around me began to pat my shoulder or smile and I wasn't embarrassed about it all at. Thanks to Guy and his teammates for cheering us on, for some reason.

Now, I knew what I was gonna write for my paper.

One Kiss: Is It Love Or Not?