21. Lord Darius

When Vlad came inside the palace, a maid had been waiting for him. "May you have eternal fortune, your highness. The king is waiting for you in the throne room."

Vlad nodded and followed the maid. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Neoma following him. "Will you be following me everywhere?"

"Yes, master. It is my job to protect you at all times." Neoma answered.

Vlad hummed in acknowledgement. [This will not be good....]

Neoma looked at Vlad's back. His mind wandering back to the memory of when he was called to guard the prince. At the time, the king had called all four leaders of the shadow guard.

"One of you will be guarding the prince, the incarnation of the Serpent King."

All four guards at the time frowned at the thought of that. They were the guard only to the king of demons, and that is Xanthus. In their lifetime, they can only have one master. The thought of having to serve another have never crossed their mind.

"Who will be guarding him?" Asked the king. His tone very demanding as it resonates with power.

Without a second thought, Neoma walked up and went down to his knees.

"I willingly come forth, master. I shall guard the prince even if it takes my life." Neoma pledge.

Xanthus looked at the shadow guard. His mind wandering off. After a few minutes of silence, the king agreed.

"Very well. But know this, shall anything happen to him, it will be your responsibility." Threatened the king.

"Yes."

As Neoma remembered this memory, in  another place stood a man. The surroundings were dark with only a small pearl lighting in the corner of the room. The man had dark hair and light eyes.

The room was quiet only with the sound of water streaming. The dark haired man was currently laying in the water. His hands holding a blue crystal.

"He is finally here... The master have been waiting." Whispered the man with his deep voice. "Remember to protect him well."

"Yes." Said another voice floating from the crystal.

"You know what to do, make sure to report his every move. The magic plant will be sent to you soon, make sure to make him inhale it everyday. The master will reward you if you do this well."

The crystal glowed even more when the other man replied. "I understand."

The man hummed in satisfaction before he threatened the other once more, "Remember who gave you life. If you dare betray us, your ending will not be good."

"I understand, lord Darius."

After Darius took back his magic, the crystal in his hands broke. The man sat up in the water and grabbed his wet hair. His lips forming a scowl.

"Treating me like some kind of dog... the hell with it. I am of the royal bloodline too. I wonder why brother, that you are so obsessed with that man. Since he is precious to you, then I will take him for myself." In the room, a grim laugh echoed.